Okay, I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my danios here...

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by Elodea, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

As you may (unlikely) or may not (likely) have known, both of my female danios have been bloated for quite a while.

Actually, they've been this fat ever since I got them. I'm pretty sure it's not a disease, I've had them for more than a year, and they're all perfectly fine.

At first, I thought that they were pregnant, but I never found any eggs or fry (unless they ate them), and my females never god a bit slimmer. Never ever.

Or is this normal?

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

My girl looks like that too(id almost say mine's belly is more pronounced), Im pretty sure thats how the girls are. They have bigger bellys sometimes while the boys are slimmer but better wait for someone with more experience because I could be off base. That's a GREAT pic by the way! Iv been trying to get pics of mine..always blurry..maybe its my lighting.

3. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Now that female is "sitting", or I may say laying on her belly at the bottom of the gravel. However, when I put my fingers in the tank to release the flake food, she instantly zipped back up and started snapping up food like normal. Any ideas?

FLGirl: About taking the pictures, I've found it notoriously difficult, too. Actually, that one was the best out of roughlt 14 others I tried to take. The trick is to throw in a sinking pellet (I use Aquarian shrimp pellets) and the danios all slow down to circle it and try to eat it. Actually, if you look closely, you can actually see the pellet in the photo, it's the slightly cylindrical tan/buff thing right below her belly.

4. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

ahhhh I see it, I'll have to try that! :D

5. claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Mine are chubby. Do you have boys in the tank? I'm not sure what happens to the eggs if there is no male around to fertilize them. Do the females just hang on to them in the hopes of meeting up with a male or do they lay them anyway? I accidently found fry only when I threw some of my old tank water - the gravel washing - into a container out the back. Presumably they normally get eaten without even being seen normally.

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning. The link above states that the females are generally larger with a more rounded belly.

Ken

7. coffeebean

coffeebeanWell Known MemberMember

my females are like that, perhaps larger then yours

8. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I prefer to think of my females as curvaceous, not chubby..... but yeah, they have junk in the trunk for sure. :cool:

9. SuaveValued MemberMember

I've kept kept Zebra Danios for about 2 years now. All my females tend to have fairly pronounced bellies. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's natural.

from the link above:
    General Body Form:

Long and slender, you could say the Zebra has the classic fish shape. There are really no distinguishing features that make the Zebra stand out. The mouth faces slightly upward and has two sets of Barbels. Females are generally larger with a more rounded belly.

10. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Ah, okay, thanks. It was just in another thread that one member stated that my danios were unnaturally fat. I'll stop worrying now.

11. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Since I don't feel the need to create a new thread for this...

My long-finned female has suddenly become huge. Even huger than before. Is it just overfeeding (I did have half an algae wafer down there for the loaches), gravid, or (God forbid) some disease like bloat?

Attached is a picture. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

12. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Have you tried feeding peas? she does look a bit bloated to me.

13. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Oh, whatever, maybe it was just the algae wafer. She looks normal today.

By the way, does anyone know how to breed them in a community tank with a single breeder net?

14. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Hi Elodea,

The most common method of breeding zebras is to use a breeding tank with just a few adults, the tank is set up with a false bottom, large marble substrate, or breeding mop so that when the eggs are scattered they fall down to where the parents cant eat them. After 4 or 5 days in the breeding tank, the adults are removed, then 2-3 days later the eggs should start to hatch.

there's several different methods on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmiqkEftJQ&feature=related

you could also talk to Dennis (danionins.com) here, he has a vast amount of experience and knowledge in the subject.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  15. orisueValued MemberMember

:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:

16. Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

My glofish (from what I was told these are genetically altered zebra danios) was HUGE. I was almost convinced that she was not what they said she was lol. Yes she was very big and very "curvy".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice