Okay, I'm Cheap. How Can I Make This Work?

emmysjj
Ok, here's my situation. I'm doing pygmy cories and chillI rasboras in my 10 gallon (I know, I know, the pygmys are controversial. I am confident that I can provide an enriching environment for them) with a few RCS and I have around $100 to work with. I am getting my tank during the dollar per gallon sale (maybe today?) so that's $10. I already have my HOB filter, Tetra SafeStart, Pure Ammonia, chili's food, Prime, and an API Test Kit. I need:
-Black sand (10 lbs? I want a 1-1/2 inch layer)
-Heater (50 watts)
-Lid with or without lights
-Decor (going for silk plants. Must be heavily decorated for the cories.)

What is the best and cheapest way to do this? Is there anything i'm missing? This needs to stay as far under $100 as possible. Thanks!

emmysjj
Oh, I forgot to add that my budget includes livestock, so around 20-25 dollars for that

Mary765
Second hand is your salvation! I'm a student and always buy expensive stuff like tanks, filters, heaters and lights for a fraction of the price online. Check eBay, gumtree and any other second-hand places you can think of but eBay if my personal favourite.

Once you have the equipment all you need to do is give it a good clean with method of your choice, look it over for damage or wear/tear and test it before it's usable!

emmysjj
Thanks, I'll check that out. How do you know what you're getting is safe?

Mary765
Thanks, I'll check that out. How do you know what you're getting is safe?

The previous owner should be able to tell you. Otherwise you look at the components I.e check for cracks or obviously broken pieces. Then you put the equipment in some water (if it's a submerged piece) turn it on and see if it works. If you receive a broken or dodgy item you are entitled to a refund

shutterbug13
Black diamond blasting sand is your best bet for substrate, it costs about $8 for 50 lbs.
This is a good heater: . It's not really cheap but you want to make sure it won't fail on you.
These lids are cheap:

Dave125g
Here is my DIY hood and lighting.
0403181535c.jpeg pool filter sand or BDBS is an inexpensive substrate. The bulk of your budget will be heating and filtration. Check chewy. Best prices I have found. Shipping is free at 49 dollars or more.

emmysjj
Black diamond blasting sand is your best bet for substrate, it costs about $8 for 50 lbs.
This is a good heater: . It's not really cheap but you want to make sure it won't fail on you.
These lids are cheap:

Do you have a link for the BDBS?

Here is my DIY hood and lighting.View attachment 426649 pool filter sand or BDBS is an inexpensive substrate. The bulk of your budget will be heating and filtration. Check chewy. Best prices I have found. Shipping is free at 49 dollars or more.
Thanks, ill check out chewy!

JLeeM
If it were me, I'd definitely get your 10 gallon tank during the $1 per gallon sale. I'd definitely go with Black Diamond Blasting Sand 20/40 grit. I've so far only used Aqueon Submersible heaters, which you can get here.

I used a Top Fin glass lid on my 20 long that's working fine. Here's a price for the size you'd need.

So now let's do some math, and be generous on our figuring (to allow taxes and error).

10 Gallon Tank- $15
BDBS -$10
Lid -$15
Fish -$25
Heater -$25
(with decor to reach $25 for free shipping)

Total -$90

Then, later on when you could, you could add a cheap light since you're not planning on live plants. Plus, you probably won't get all your livestock at once so as to not crash your cycle. Decor can always be added bit by bit as well.

Hope this helps.

emmysjj
Thanks everyone so much! I'll update in a little bit.

emmysjj
Okay, best way to DIY a lid lol? Literally just got enough money for anything else. Link for diy lid under $4?

emmysjj
I picked up the tank yesterday, just wanted to add.

JLeeM
Okay, best way to DIY a lid lol? Literally just got enough money for anything else. Link for diy lid under $4?
You're needing to do a lid for under $4?

75g Discus Tank
Plexiglass is cheap.
It’s a good lid.

Search up the King of DIY on YouTube.

He uses something for his lids(I forget what it is) and it’s super cheap.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tjander
Replies
Views
emmysjj
Replies
Views
chrt396
Replies
Views