okay, gourami lovers, you win!

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, all this talk about gouramis is making me want one. will this work in a 30g long tank, fluval 305 filter?

6 bandit cories
    3 male guppies
    8 neon tetras
    1 dwarf gourami

2. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

sounds good to me

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It sounds good to me. I think you're understocked and could add a few more corys and neons. How about some dwarf neon rainbows for the top part of the tank?

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

yup! sounds good to me too :) just keep an eye out for the DG.. some are still sick with iridovirus. Maybe you should go for a pearl gourami... they are just as beautiful and not suceptible to iridovirus and IMO make great community fish :)

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A male pearl would do very nicely.

6. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i was just going to say pearl guoramis are my favorite :)

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the pearls get really big, 5 inches... that's not too big with the other fish?

8. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

nope its fine :) maybe go for cardinal tetras instead of neons so they are a little bit bigger... other than that it should be fine. Keep in mind the size of the mouth, as long as no fish fits in it it will be fine. Make sure you add him last too, just so he can get used to being in a busy tank.

On another note, i reccomend you QT the guppies and platties, they are so over bred they tend to be very suceptable to disease since they are so weak. Here's a thread on a quick DIY QT tank:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/otocinclus/34328-quick-dirty-quarantine-setup.html
    and an extra QT link:
    https://www.fishlore.com/QuarantineTankSetup.htm

hope that helps!

:;hi1

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Tony. II'm not getting platies, and my 3 guppies are already happily frolicking in the tank. I have the guppies, cories, and 6 danios. I am not thrilled with the danios. The lfs is going to take them from me, then I'll buy the neons. Was supposed to happen already, but I'm currently bedbound.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Woops! LOL i had one of shawnie's brunette moments there :giggle:

Maybe you should ask the LFS if they can trade the danios for the tetras... :;dk

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

this store sells neon tetras (small .75 inches) 3 for a dollar.. i bought my cories there for 3 dollars each, when the same cories were 8 each at another store. Awesome, huh?

The danios aren't from that store. I guess I could ask them to do a trade, can't hurt to ask.

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

wow LOL the neons are cheap then! you have a good LFS LOL i get my cory's here 2 for 30 pesos ;) so its like 2 for 3 Dlls :giggle:

ive returned fish from other stores and they always have given me store credit..

its worht a shot :)

13. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

If you're interested in more than one gourami and if they're available at your lfs, you could get two sparkling gouramis or to honey gouramis. :) They're really sweet the way they swim around together.

Sounds like it will be a beautiful tank. :)

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yeah, this fish store was a real find. every week, they update their website so it lists all of their freshwater stock. and their prices are unbelievable, the place is super clean.

I know you can't shop here, but here's the website if you are interested in glancing at the stock... http://fintique.home.texas.net/fintique update.htm

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

iloveenlg, are all the sunsets dwarfs?

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

At the store, I pay $4-6 per cory and neons are 3 for $5.

I second the honey and sparkling gouramis.

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

i thought sunsets were dwarfs.... :;dk

their stock is really nice! and they have some good deals on tanks :p

18. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Well.... The key is in the Latin. :;bk

The honey gourami you want is smaller than regular DGs and, unlike most gouramis, they get along really well in pairs or sets of all the same sex; the Latin name for this honey gourami is Colisa chuna (or sometimes Trichogaster chuna).

For example, this is not a Colisa chuna honey gourami or a dwarf gourami: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/anabantoids/ThickLipSunsetGourami.php But if you went by it's common name, you wouldn't realize it was the wrong fish!

Dwarf gouramis, including sunshine, honey, yellow, gold, and other color morphs that look similar to Colisa chuna are actually Colisa lalia.

Basically, if you go to your lfs and you see a little gourami labeled "honey" or "sunset," double check the Latin name to know for certain. :)

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Meenu. Some great stocking ideas above. I hope you get to feeling better soon!
    If you have the means we love photos! (when you're feeling better).
    Ken

20. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks guys! I will get pictures up soon, I hope. I am really excited about this new stocking plan. Originally I wanted 6 male guppies, but then I learned from Shawnie that they can have aggression problems if there are too many males. The gourami is going to be a great replacement for the 3 extra guppy boys I had originally planned on buying.

As far as which kind, I think when I get my neon tetras, I'll take a look at which ones strike my fancy. Then I can get online and research before I add it to my tank. And I'll probably wait 3-4 weeks after getting the neons before adding the gourami.

I really appreciate all the help!