Okay for the big guy?

1. RileyK Initiate Member

Hi there!

I just set up a 20 gallon tank (moving my 10g filter over, and some gravel from my old tank.)

These are my readings:

Nitrite-0
    Hardness- 300 (Yikes! How can I fix this?)
    Chlorine-0
    Alkalinity-180
    PH-7.8 or 8.4
    Nitrate-0

Is it okay to move my small common pleco into this new environment? I am very fond of him!

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

Common Plecos grow into tank busters. You'd be better off rehoming him and picking up a smaller species.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Since you just set the tank up and you don't have any nitrates I don't think your tank is cycled. Right at this time the parameters that are important to test are Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates.
    Do you have any fish in the tank? I wouldn't move your pleco until the tank is clycled and as Catsma said commons get to be tank busters. Really huge Really fast.
    carol

4. RileyK Initiate Member

I know they get huge! I have a big tank in storage, for when the time comes. I just want to know when the tank is safe? What should the parameters be at?

In theory, if the old tank strip, and the new tank strip match, aren't I good to go? There are currently no fish in the new 20g tank.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If the new tank and the old match then neither is cycled and not suitable for your pleco.
    Your parameters need to be Ammonia-0, Nitrites -0, Nitrates less than 20.

Even bringing media over from another tank you will tend to have an ammonia spike right at the start. Plecos are very sensitive to ammonia of any amount.

You will need a250g or larger to properly house this plec.

As Catsma asked please fill your aquarium information out.
    Carol

6. RileyK Initiate Member

Hi Carol! I will update my profile soon. I am getting an API Master Test Kit today, so I can keep a close eye on things. Thanks~

7. Jayha68 Member Member

Wow I was thinking a 180g would be ok! I'm hoping mine (still waiting to determine which breed exactly but from the two one gets to 9" the other to 11") will do well in the 180g I have on order, it's a 6'X24"X24" tank

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

9. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Carol, I'm confused. I thought common plecs got to be around 2', but those are all around 1'. Have I been wrong all this time?! ::panic/embarrassed face::