Okay folks I REALLY need your help

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 5 little Bettas, right?? Well now I have 5 tanks with 1 Betta in each tank!!!! Of course my 2 males are 1 to a tank and I do understand that and that is okay. But for the folks that have little females or for those of you who may have any suggestions I am all ears. Jasmyn is by far the dominant female but has been in the quarantine tank for several days to a week now because of a horrible infection of cotton wool disease and Ich at the same time!!! She has been very sick and I thought I would lose her but she is just how starting to eat and swim around thanks to a new med combination of Clout and Furan-2 and Melafix and Pimafix (sounds like a lot I am aware but when I was using less she was not responding) plus the temperature being raised to 85 degrees F. Anyway as soon as the dominant female was gone from the female tank, Emma began to absolutely chase and flare and have a fit at Sara. Today I wake up and Sara has chunks bitten out of her!!! So NOW I have 2 quarantine tanks going (the second with Sara in it) and Emma in the other large tank. What are your suggestions on getting these naughty little girls back in the same tank again or do you think I am going to have to leave Sara out of the tank from now on since she has been so traumatized? Give this some consideration and let me know your thoughts. I am truly stumped by my little dickens's.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose,
Here is what I would try once Jasmyn and Sara are healed and ready to go back into the tank with Emma:
First I would do a large water change, unless you have something to put all the water in so you can reuse it. Then I would get all new gravel, plants and decorations. Set up the tank as you would a new tank, rinsing the gravel, washing the decorations and plants, if they're fake. Put the water back in, add some AquaSafe or someting similar to help lower stress and improve their slime coat. When you finally put the girls in, they will think they are in a new tank with no set territories. Hopefully Jasmyn will still be the dominant one, so there will be little or no dispute over rank. I think that putting them all in at once would be the best thing, although you could also try just putting in Jasmyn and Sara first, then adding Emma a couple of hours later. I don't know how that would work, though, as it is always better to put all female bettas in at once.
If I had the money, I would even get a bigger tank to rehome them in. More space, less territorial dispute.

I hope you find the answer to your problem! I know how much you love your Betta kids and want them to all be happy and healthy.

Sara

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it is going to be quite a while before I can even think of putting either of them back into the tank as Jasmyn is just now starting a cycle of a new med suggested by a fish vet friend of mine as he said the other had already done as much as it was going to. And Sara is so traumatized that she is needing penicillin (his orders) to keep her from getting an infection in her injuries and she won't let me anywhere near her. She swims quickly away and hides behind the heater and takes a chance of reopening the sore areas every time I come near the tank. She is so afraid, I feel so sorry for her. I am going to take the suction cups off of the heater and just let it float so she cannot get back there and keep rubbing her sore areas. I do not think I will have a bit of trouble with Jasmyn retaining her dominance over the tank as she was REALLY in charge and Emma was the one who really caught the brunt of it the first time around (other than Misty). Sara has never fought back even this time when she was getting eaten on, that is why I am wondering if I will ever be able to put her back. I have the lovely littler tank and she could be happy in there with some nice plants and a snail and some peace and quiet and the other two will find a equalization in the other tank. She is really getting along very well in the smaller tank as long as no one comes up to the tank. I watch her from afar and she swims around and seems happy and content.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
you might have to leave sara out...she might not be up to defending herself. I was looking at a female betta tank and the females may get along but they are sort of isolated while together. I could see as they swam near each other now and then that there would be a brief flaring of the gills. So...it might be dicey with that one. The others I'd be wary and wait and see. Certainly there is not much else you could have done.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am going to do as Sara suggested and do the whole tank over even though it is heavily planted with real plants. While I am at it everybody gets new gravel as my gravel vac is having trouble getting the sludge out and I think it is time for redecorating and I want to try Eco Complete. I am going to leave Sara out of the tank she is healing SO fast and I can only attribute it to the meds and vitamins as she is still afraid and stressed. I am still concerned over Jasmyn but she is finally showing less spots they are almost gone on her face and side now all i have to worry about is her eye. The joys of motherhood. ARGHHH!!!! Thank you all for your support and caring. Here I am supposed to be the one who is able to take care of her Betta children and lately everything has gone downhill and in spite of twice weekly water changes of 50% and vitamins and all. It is discouraging.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it Rose, I hope the news continues to be better. We're all rooting for you and the little ones.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jasmyn is not doing well. She is not eating and responding to the medication and it is about the most potent medication I can force my self to use on her. She spends day and night floating/swimming around and around the edges of the tank and the spots are marginally better but she has the food hit her in the nose and it is sad but she will not open her mouth to eat it. I have wondered if perhaps when the fungal infection was so bad on her face if she had been affected around her eyes and gone blind. It breaks my heart, but since I am not sure, I am going to give her a while yet and see if perhaps she will snap out of it as the spots go away further. The two weeks of 85 degree temperature are not over yet and I am going to give her that long.

Rose
:'(

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Poor little critter. It reminds me very much of what happened to Darth, but I think you must have caught the symptoms in time, I am hoping and praying. I hope the little female will recover and heal.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I thought maybe she wasn't getting enough oxygen so I turned up the airstone way up so she would get a lot more bubbling today. Hopefully maybe that this will make her feel better.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could we have an update? Yeah I know this is a really late reply but I haven't gotten on here until today.
Here's what I think happened: when the dominant Betta was removed, there was no one to keep them in place, so the pecking order broke down. They started fighting eack other in hopes of becoming the next dominant one. Now that they are all separated, they are equals. Put them back together, and they may fight, but only to re-establish the pecking order, and then the fighting will stop. At least that's what I think. (maybe someone said this already, I was too lazy to read all the posts )

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are like males fighting with the flaring and biting and flashing at each other since I now only have the two of them so I fixed it. I have 4 bettas and 4 tanks. One betta per tank. That is it. I am through with the idea of being a referee between fish who are trying to kill each other. I may get some otos to go into the other 2 tanks with the ornery little women but that is it. No more females. If my males die I will replace them or if I have a female tank go empty I will buy a male but the females have been so hard to deal with, I do not believe they are for me. Maybe I am just too old for kids fighting . I love them but they are so much more darling this way than when I have to keep running into the bedroom to see if they are fighting.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom