Ok To Turn Off Air Pump At Night?

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by AnnaP, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AnnaPValued MemberMember

Is it OK to turn it off at night or does it have to be on constantly?
    Thank you

2. WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

What is the air pump connected to, is it a filter or just and airstone? If the noise from the pump it keeping you awake you can put the pump of a towel so it does not make as much of a humming noise.

3. AnnaPValued MemberMember

Just air stone. Noise is not an issue. The aquarium is in the kitchen. I was actually thinking that the fish would prefer some quiet time at night :)

4. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

If it's an airstone it's completely up to you, it won't do harm either way

5. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I wouldn't turn off the air pump. I have two HOB filters and a sponge filter that are only turned off during feeding time, and my fish are doing fine.

6. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

An airstone has no biological significance though, so turning it off at night won't hurt unless O2 levels were low. If the pump runs a sponge filter, then definitely keep it running

7. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

I agree, but personally, I wouldn't turn it off because it's not necessary to turn it off overnight. But that's just me. It wouldn't hurt if the OP turns the air pump off.

8. Runefang78New MemberMember

I regularly turn off my air stones at night (I sleep in the same room as the tanks). No harm done

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It is even a good idea. Plants produce CO2 at night that is used by them again during daytime. An airstone running at night will cause that being lost.

When turning it of take care the pump is above waterlevel / use a valve so it won't start syphoning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice