Ok To Turn Off Air Pump At Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it OK to turn it off at night or does it have to be on constantly?
Thank you

AnnaP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just air stone. Noise is not an issue. The aquarium is in the kitchen. I was actually thinking that the fish would prefer some quiet time at night

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just air stone. Noise is not an issue. The aquarium is in the kitchen. I was actually thinking that the fish would prefer some quiet time at night
If it's an airstone it's completely up to you, it won't do harm either way

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally, I wouldn't turn off the air pump. I have two HOB filters and a sponge filter that are only turned off during feeding time, and my fish are doing fine.
An airstone has no biological significance though, so turning it off at night won't hurt unless O2 levels were low. If the pump runs a sponge filter, then definitely keep it running

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
An airstone has no biological significance though, so turning it off at night won't hurt unless O2 levels were low. If the pump runs a sponge filter, then definitely keep it running
I agree, but personally, I wouldn't turn it off because it's not necessary to turn it off overnight. But that's just me. It wouldn't hurt if the OP turns the air pump off.

Runefang78

Reaction score
I regularly turn off my air stones at night (I sleep in the same room as the tanks). No harm done

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is even a good idea. Plants produce CO2 at night that is used by them again during daytime. An airstone running at night will cause that being lost.

When turning it of take care the pump is above waterlevel / use a valve so it won't start syphoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom