Ok to treat fin rot in main tank?

shollia

Reaction score
I just noticed that one of my female danios seems to have fin rot. At least that's what it's looking like on her analfin. On part of it.. the edge is a black color & does appear to be a bit eroded.

We don't have a quarantine tank, hospital tank or whatever... so I'm wondering if it would be ok to use the main tank to medicate the fish in?
The tank is still cycling.. so would medicating mess that up any?
I've told bf that we really need to go out and get another tank asap... if he's not feeling lazy tomorrow we're gonna be going out and finally getting the liquid nitrite/nitrate tests I've been bugging him about.. so maybe we'll get one then, but just in case we don't... I could use some information

Also was reading about how to set up the quarantine tank.. and it says to use the main tanks water.. but since it's still in the cycling process.. would that still be ok?

I apologize for posting this here and not the fish disease section of the forums... it just seems like that area doesn't get as much traffic.

JMatt1983

Reaction score
one of my fish had fin rot, what I did, I went out and bought a 1 gallon tank, set it up with an airstone and a small air filter, I couldn't wait for it to cycle, so I got something called ammolock to neutralize the ammonia, some others may have some other suggestions, good luck

schiz

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me late last night, well actually this morning about 4am, but my problem was Ich. Had an outbreak after adding too many fish in short period of time, stupid me, which overloaded my bioload and shot my nitrites up. So at 4am I had my 3 ballon belly mollies start showing signs of ich. I have 2 buckets that I use for fish only that hold about 3 gallons each. Since I was currently using one to do a 25% water change I filled the other one and moved the mollies to it. After a quick trip to the dreaded W store to get a heater I came back and started treatment. Since I caught it so early and the other fish so far look fine I am against medicating the main tank since I have shrimp in there, and I think most people are against medicating the main tank if you can help it. I didn't get a filter and am just doing water changes to manually filter the water for the time being. I didn't use water from my main tank since my nitrites were high. What I do is every time my wife finishes with a gallon of drinking water I fill it with tap water and add water conditioner and let it sit for about 3 days inside so I have it at room temperature if I need it. So my house may look a little funny with water jugs that say "fish only" on them, but my tap water is so bad chemically my fish would probrably jump out of the tank if I added it.

OP
S

shollia

Reaction score
JMatt1983 said:
one of my fish had fin rot, what I did, I went out and bought a 1 gallon tank, set it up with an airstone and a small air filter, I couldn't wait for it to cycle, so I got something called ammolock to neutralize the ammonia, some others may have some other suggestions, good luck
*nods* I'm hoping I can convince bf to get a small tank to use.... a little 1 or 2 gallon one shouldn't be too pricey. What should I put into the tank? Leave it bare.. or should I add gravel and all that?

Oh and ty for the replies! heh I hope I don't wake tomorrow to find one of my gals dead.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm afraid using meds will mess up your cycle in the main tank. finrot is frequently caused by a water quailty issue. Since the tank is going through cycling this can be the cause of the finrot. An extra water change maybe in order.
The bucket idea is good as long as it can be heated filtered. A couple of days of extremely clean water may do the trick without meds.
As for the tank you need at least a 5G for a quarantine tank. Ammonia builds up too fast in 1G. Check in the classifieds in the paper under pet supplies sometimes there are small tanks for practically nothing.
Just some thoughts
Carol

schiz

Reaction score
The bad thing is I was in the process of buying a 10 gallon for a quarantine tank since the Petsmart here has them on sale, and then an unexpected bill rolled in that I had to pay so it looks like it will be next week before I can afford it. Stupid bills! So I just had to resort to the bucket as kind of a last resort, but so far it has worked. The three balloon mollies have been isolated almost 4 days now, are eating well(actually they pig out) and showing almost no signs of ich. The water temp is sitting at about 80-82, but will be glad when I have a filter with the quarantine tank since I have to stay on top of the testing and water changes with them in such a small amount of water. I also hope they pull through for you, my little vacuums are definitely one of my favorite fish so naturally it would be them having trouble.

OP
S

shollia

Reaction score
Today was also a nogo for a trip to the petstore... SIGH!!!!!
BF had to stay late at work so.... yeah.. what can ya do....

I did a larger water change today.. and observed my fishy for a little while. Her fin doesn't look any worse thankfully, but I'm still worried about it.
I really hope we can go tomorrow..... :-\

OP
S

shollia

Reaction score
Well her fin doesn't look any worse thankfully. some of the blackness that was around the edges seems to have gone some.. but I'm still keeping a close eye on her.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as it isn't getting worse waiting an extra day for the q tank shouldn't hurt her. But do try to get it asap. The most important thing is to make sure the nitrites and nitrates stay within a safe range.

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Just to add to what has already been said here, your quarantine tank shouldn't have gravel since it would make it more difficult for you to see if a sick fish has regained its appetite(always a positive sign it's healing), or is still not eating and in the case of constipation, if it's recovered and is going regularly again .. adding a plant though is not a bad idea as long as it's not too bushy for you to see the fish clearly.. the plant will help the fish feel more comfortable being away from it's normal environment.

Off the top of my head, Ich is the only thing for which you should treat the entire tank.. all other ailments should require the infected fish being treated away from the healthy ones, whether in a q-tank or some other container.

OP
S

shollia

Reaction score
Alrighty... my brother is going to my mom's and getting her little tank for me.. lest I hope he is since he's in a crappy mood right now for no reason.. *sigh* siblings......
He's also going out to get me some medication for my fishy.
My danios fin hasn't gotten much worse, but the rot is still there.. so hopefully this will make her all better

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom