Ok to medicate tank with fry in it?

corylover
does anyone know if its ok to medicate a tank when there is fry in the tank. can the fry survive that meds? my molly mom seemed to have scraped herself having her fry and I wanted to put something in the water to help her but I've been afraid to with the fry in there. also one of the swordtails seems to have gotten into a tiff in the bag on the the way home and its move looks a bit banged up.

COBettaCouple
You could add certain things to the tank that could help her but be safe for them. Stresscoat, Fish Protector, Vita-Chem. They'd help her heal the scrape without needing harsh meds.

corylover
thanks I'll go to the lfs and see what I can get of those things. I do have cycle and aqua plus would either of those help or would I be better with the stresscoat.

COBettaCouple
Yea, Cycle causes mini-cycles and Aquasafe would give little to no extra help for speeding up her healing. She should heal just fine, but keeping the water extra clean and maybe adding one of those products I listed can help prevent infection (if it's a deep scrape) and help speed healing.

corylover
I'll see which one of those I can get at the lfs. thanks for the help. I don't want to hurt the fry but I want momma's to get better.

finmama
I just finished using Melafix for a week for a little bit of finrot on a platy, and all my fry are still alive, it didnt seem to bother them and it really speed the healing up.

corylover
I'm sure that I saw Melafix at petland the other day so I'll go over and get some. thanks I was worried about my fry.

COBettaCouple
The tank doesn't have any air labyrinth fish in it, does it? They can't take melafix.

corylover
there is a crowntail betta in it.

COBettaCouple
I'd stick with those other products then, the melafix isn't necessary for a scrape and will damage or kill your Betta.

corylover
unfortuantly my betta all of a sudden isn't looking good please take a look at him and tell me if you can tell what's wrong. this showed up about an hour ago before that he seemed fine.
sorry I couldnt help myself heres some pictures of the some of the fry I'm trying to save

tricky_tink
I'm curious to see what is said about your betta cause mine too looks grey around the mouth/ gill area almost like it's gotten old. I have treated it with Mereycine plus<-----likely didn't get that one right....Treated day 1-3-5 but still looks bad. I add prime and fish protector and do once a week 50 percent change on his 10 gallon.

corylover
sorry to say I lost the poor guy last night. after looking at his out of the water and again at the pictures it seems he was constapated. he piged out on blood worm a couple of days ago and I had noticed that he had not passed them all. he was smaller and I was busy with the fry that I didnt notice he was still a bit big while the other betta is nice and small again.

COBettaCouple
:'( We're sorry you lost him.

corylover
thanks he was a beaut too. if I hadn't been so busy watching for fry I would have noticed earlier and saved him. so far my 5 platy fry are still alive and the one molly fry and as far as I can tell the molly hasnt given up any of her fry yet.

finmama
Sorry to hear about your Betta Wow he was such an amazing color of blue
Maybe he was snacking on fry too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishandle
Top Bottom