Ok to add fish with 0.25ppm nitrite?

Robinn

Hello!

I have a 10g that I've been cycling to 4ppm of ammonia (about 16 drops of this a day). Since I already had a betta in this tank, getting the ammonia sorted was pretty easy and took about a week. But, now it's been-- what, a month?--and my nitrites still haven't dropped fully down to zero. They've been sitting at 0.25ppm pretty much this whole time, not going down one bit. Nitrates have been going up, too--admittedly I haven't tested them in a bit but they're definitely converting over last I checked.

Now, I'm almost done with my bottle of ammonia--I pretty much have just enough to last me until about Wednesday when I could get my fish shipped to me. Should I get more ammonia or will my fish be fine if I add them now?

For clarification on the species of fish in terms of hardiness...eh, I'm leaning towards ember tetras, but I've recently been in love with blue neon rasboras and lambchop rasboras. Least killfish also look awesome but I'm not 100% sure how a mixed-gender group would work if I don't want to breed them (I heard they need to be in male+female groups?). Too many options and they all look so awesome!! But I guess that's besides the point.

Anyways, any help would be super appreciated!

BettasAreSuperior

Nitrite is more toxic to fish than ammonia. I wouldn't add the fish. mattgirl ? Can you help here?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

First, there is no need to put that much ammonia in a 10 gallon tank so cut back on it and make what ammonia you have left last longer. You can't comfortably add enough fish to this tank to come close to producing that much ammonia.

Second, Have you changed any water since starting this cycle? I you haven't done one recently I recommend you change out half the water now. Be sure to use your water conditioner and temp match the fresh water. Once the water change is done add enough ammonia to get it up to no more than 2ppm. Once the water change is done I have a suspicion within 24 hours you will see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Well you could be getting a false reading. Test your tap water. What is your nitrate readings? As stated nitrite are worse than ammonia but .25 may not be a problem. What are you going to add?

Upvote 0

Robinn

First, there is no need to put that much ammonia in a 10 gallon tank so cut back on it and make what ammonia you have left last longer. You can't comfortably add enough fish to this tank to come close to producing that much ammonia.

Second, Have you changed any water since starting this cycle? I you haven't done one recently I recommend you change out half the water now. Be sure to use your water conditioner and temp match the fresh water. Once the water change is done add enough ammonia to get it up to no more than 2ppm. Once the water change is done I have a suspicion within 24 hours you will see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

Oh, ok! I thought 4ppm was standard for all tanks, I'll reduce that now.

I've changed it twice, around once every week and a half. Mostly because I wanted to rescape my tank lol. I'll change it in the morning and see what happens. Thank you for all the help!

Well you could be getting a false reading. Test your tap water. What is your nitrate readings? As stated nitrite are worse than ammonia but .25 may not be a problem. What are you going to add?

I had a sneaking suspicion it might have been this too. Just tested it and there is, just about as much as there is in the tank (if not a little less). Nitrates are around 40-80ppm.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Sorry I didn’t see that 16 drops of ammonia!! That was while the betta was in the tank? In the end it sounds like your tank is cycled and needs a water change. Being only 10g you will want to change at least 5g a week.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Sorry I didn’t see that 16 drops of ammonia!! That was while the betta was in the tank? In the end it sounds like your tank is cycled and needs a water change. Being only 10g you will want to change at least 5g a week.
I understood it to mean the betta was moved or was lost. I could be reading it wrong though. Hopefully ammonia wasn't being added with a fish in there.

Upvote 0

Dippiedee

I have a 10g that I've been cycling to 4ppm of ammonia (about 16 drops of this a day). Since I already had a betta in this tank, getting the ammonia sorted was pretty easy and took about a week.

Just for clarification, was the betta the previous occupant of the tank or is the betta still in there?

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Wait, I am asking the same question as others here. Sorry to be rude, but did you add the ammonia with the betta? If so, that's quite cruel to be adding pure ammonia and that's putting your fish through suffering and torture. I would never ever do that. And why are you adding ammonia in the first place?

Upvote 0

Robinn

No, my betta passed about a month ago. Sorry for not clarifying that. The tank is empty and I'm keeping the nitrogen cycle going until I add more fish. Again, super sorry if I came across as abusive. ;-;
Wait, I am asking the same question as others here. Sorry to be rude, but did you add the ammonia with the betta? If so, that's quite cruel to be adding pure ammonia and that's putting your fish through suffering and torture. I would never ever do that. And why are you adding ammonia in the first place?

I'm sorry you felt that way about my potential use of misinformation, but perhaps you could have phrased it a bit more nicely? Calling me "cruel" and saying I'm "putting my fish through suffering and torture" is a bit harsh. Perhaps you could have phrased it in a way like, "Hey, adding ammonia while you already have a fish is pretty unnecessary and you could be harming him. I would stop adding it for the safety of your fish. " I suppose it doesn't come across as demanding or as harmful, but the point gets across without hitting someone over the head.
Again, totally understand where you're coming from, but it's just coming across as a bit too blunt. Imagine if I actually did abuse my fish like this: you're assuming I'm knowingly torturing my fish, what if I didn't know any better? This forum is for learning, after all.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Oh, ok! I thought 4ppm was standard for all tanks, I'll reduce that now.

I've changed it twice, around once every week and a half. Mostly because I wanted to rescape my tank lol. I'll change it in the morning and see what happens. Thank you for all the help
If after you do the water change you find that the nitrites are now zero or even if it isn't a true zero you could actually just go to a maintenance dose of ammonia by just adding it every other day until the day before you are ready to add a fish. Once a tank is fully cycled, bacteria can go longer without feeding it than you might think.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

No, my betta passed about a month ago. Sorry for not clarifying that. The tank is empty and I'm keeping the nitrogen cycle going until I add more fish. Again, super sorry if I came across as abusive. ;-;

I'm sorry you felt that way about my potential use of misinformation, but perhaps you could have phrased it a bit more nicely? Calling me "cruel" and saying I'm "putting my fish through suffering and torture" is a bit harsh. Perhaps you could have phrased it in a way like, "Hey, adding ammonia while you already have a fish is pretty unnecessary and you could be harming him. I would stop adding it for the safety of your fish. " I suppose it doesn't come across as demanding or as harmful, but the point gets across without hitting someone over the head.
Again, totally understand where you're coming from, but it's just coming across as a bit too blunt. Imagine if I actually did abuse my fish like this: you're assuming I'm knowingly torturing my fish, what if I didn't know any better? This forum is for learning, after all.
I am sorry. I agree I was quite too blunt. I could have asked nicely, sorry for being such a jerk. I fully accept my terrible mistake.

Upvote 0

Robinn

I am sorry. I agree I was quite too blunt. I could have asked nicely, sorry for being such a jerk. I fully accept my terrible mistake.

It's all good. Like I said, I know you were coming from a place of passion so that's totally understandable. Thank you for apologizing!

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

It's all good. Like I said, I know you were coming from a place of passion so that's totally understandable. Thank you for apologizing!
Thanks for accepting my apology.

Upvote 0

Robinn

Update: Just tested and we are in the clear! Reads a solid 0ppm now. Thank you all for the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
Replies
Views
mattgirl