Ok, that was scary

Lucy
A few days ago while feeding Prissy, I accidentally gave her too big of a pellet (I couldn't find baby pellets, so I sift through and find the littlest ones).
She chewed it a bit then sort of spit up (whiteish colored).

Today, I did it again, but this time, instead of the 'spit up'
coming out of her mouth, it came out of her gills along with air bubbles.

I was so scared, I thought I hurt her, but she seems ok and wanted seconds.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
(I skimmed through about 20 pages of threads but didn't find anything like this.)

susitna-flower
A few days ago while feeding Prissy, I accidentally gave her too big of a pellet (I couldn't find baby pellets, so I sift through and find the littlest ones).
She chewed it a bit then sort of spit up (whiteish colored).

Today, I did it again, but this time, instead of the 'spit up'
coming out of her mouth, it came out of her gills along with air bubbles.

I was so scared, I thought I hurt her, but she seems ok and wanted seconds.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
(I skimmed through about 20 pages of threads but didn't find anything like this.)

:;z Fish do the funniest things....At least they aren't like horses, who can't get rid of any 'extra".... It always frustrated me to see the bigger fish do this, thinking it was wasteful, then I noticed that my smaller fish actually benefited because they then had smaller portions to eat that THEY could handle.

Lucy
Well, ew, I'm glad she didn't eat it 'cause it wasn't bits of food it was white spit up.
I've seen fish spit out food before.

And yes, I worry about my fish, it's not nonsense.

Drea
It's good that you are aware of what happens with your , and not take for granted that anything going on is always normal, and not to worry about. You go right ahead and worry....because you'll be able to take actions if necessary, rather than having a bad surprise of some kind

Blub
Hi!

Fish sometimes do this. I won't worry - she just needs to make small enough particles for her to eat. Water change time!

COBettaCouple
I've seen both our Bettas and our Angel 'spit' food out through their gills. It's cool, nothing to worry about. I think it's kind of like a fish burp in a way.

Allie
I've seen both our Bettas and our Angel 'spit' food out through their gills. It's cool, nothing to worry about. I think it's kind of like a fish burp in a way.
That's what I was going to say. Burping. ;D

chickadee
While it is burping and nothing to worry about and not a necessary thing to dial 911 about, it is not a thing to be called "crazy" about or be belittled about. I am not going to see this behavior on this site. Someone is concerned and comes for help and needs an answer and has feelings and we are going to be respectful and if we cannot give a decent and kind answer then we should skip this post and go to one where we can answer in a kind manner. The type of language we have seen on this forum to one another lately has bothered me. New fish owners come on here with no idea of what is normal and not normal. Every one of us started out with NO knowledge at one time or another and some of us have forgotten what it felt like when the first one of our favorite or loved fish did something that we did not understand and it frightened or concerned us. I do not insist that we all answer the questions but those that we answer I do insist that they be done with some feeling and decent amount of understanding of where that other person is coming from. Stop and think before you post it...is what I am posting going to help anyone?

Rose

Barbrella
Since bettas have tiny stomachs and are candidates for bloating and constipation especially if given dry food, I worry too if I accidentally give food that is too large.

For my females, I like to soak the pellets til they swell a bit, then just cut them in half with my fingernail. They have no trouble eating this way and nothing comes out anywhere!

AggieYen
A week ago I gave Champion a piece of pea that I knew was too large for him the second before he got it in his mouth. He held it in his mouth for a few minutes and I was so worried that he would choke on it... I came THIS close to catching him to see if I could pry it out of his mouth... and I couldn't walk away until he finally spit it out and I could rest. I even watched him for a couple of minutes to make sure he didn't dive for it again.

We love our bettas, and I agree with Rose, no one should ever be belittled for worrying about them. The pain of losing one of them is very real. My friends and family laugh at me for how much I fret and spoil Champion, but hey, I love my fish, and I'm proud of it!

voiceless_kat
One of my bettas, Tiny King, sometimes steals a TetraMin variety pellet meant for the cories; and Thor, my krib does the same thing. The first time I saw them swim around their tank with it in their mouths, I too worried that they would choke!! I freaked out!!!

Tiny usually drops it, and then starts the game over. Thor takes it into the ship, or swims around chewing on it...practically until it is all gone.

Once I figured out that it was okay, and they wouldn't ( at least haven't) choked, I can watch them and be entertained. (Now I just worry that they will eat too much and get constipated...always something!).

It is best to ask!!!!!

COBettaCouple
Yea, we've done that too. Our first time giving them peas, we didn't know better and dropped a full half-pea into each tank. They swam around munching on them for ages. We could see how they were trying to eat the pea without letting go.

The 2 posts have been deleted. Please remember that Fishlore doesn't have many rules, but those type of posts aren't acceptable. Thanks to Rose for noticing as I skimmed past. im

Lucy - They are little characters and sometimes they worry us with something new or unexpected. They don't always do it, but Bettas do burp from time to time. It's always best to find out when in doubt.

LuvaBetta
Lucy, you're right to watch them closely and be concerned enough to question any behavior that you haven't seen before. I truly don't care what anyone in my family thinks about my fish "obsession" (and yes, they're not always nice about it!). I have found with ALL my pets over the years that when my intuition says something isn't quite right, a visit to the vet always confirms it. I haven't taken my fish to the vet yet, but if my intuition is right about dogs and cats and birds because I watch them, then I'll trust it when my fish is doing something that feels wrong!

Drea
That's right...LuvaBetta knows what I'm about. Everytime something has been wrong with one our pets or my family (illness needing e-room care) my instincts have been right on! Thank Goodness...so don't ever doubt your instincts !

LuvaBetta
I've actually taken a bird to the vet because he was willing to go to bed on time! ???
Sure enough, though, he had an infection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
visual.lace
Replies
Views
alliet7151
Replies
Views
COBettaCouple
  • Poll