ok so here is the start of "the wierd tank" we got 3/19/10

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Morgan111, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

#27 is the post with the new pictures.

Ok some of you may have followed my other thread that I had as we were trying to get this tank.... well we got it and now I'm going to polish some scratches out of the acrylic from where it was cleaned improperly (most scratches are in the corners) today. So we are going to prob going to have Rams in the tank and it is around 50 gallon the dimensions are two 10x16x24 tanks joined by two 6" tubes the lighting in the tank is very weak and it will have two AC 70 filters once it is up and running.... so here are the questions...

#1) Im going to upgrade the lighting as it is VERY poor... should we go with LED or Power Compact the lighting shell is 12 3/4" x 5 1/8" with two center screws holding the lens in place (picture attached)

#2) I had a ram tank years ago and would like suggestions from the folks here that raise and care for rams... substrate, plants, tank mates, etc.

#3) well I thought I had a third question when I started this so I thought I'd ramble for a minute and if I remember what I wanted to ask I'll edit number 3 lol.

3/28/10 EDIT ADDED a piocture of our new possible lighting.... I think it may be too bright.... 128 watts lol
    Thanks in advance

4/2/10 I just adeded a new picture with the new substrate in the tank

4/10/10 I added a picture with some plants that I got a good deal oln I only gave 18.00 dollars for all of them so if the lighting isnt enough no big loss... well next step is to add rams in two weeks..... well look my last post for the new picture...

#27 is the post with the new pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ive kept german blue rams, gold rams and I currently have Bolivian rams :)

When I kept and bred the german blues I used coral sand as it is a fine substrate which they can easily move around to their liking. A lot of fish are suitable tank mates for rams. I kept my german blues with barbs and gouramis and I have 2 rams in my angel tank and 1 in my 72G which has other american cichlids, blood parrots and angels.

From my experience rams seem to like hiding under the shade of plants such as amazon swords and java ferns. My bolivians also like hiding in wisteria :)

Hope this helps :)

Ben

3. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Did the lighting I linked to in your last thread look like they might work? It would put you a little over 1w per gallon but the tank looks really deep.

The LED's (can be an expensive up front cost) would give you deeper water penetration and you can mount them how you want. They are also more energy efficient and run cooler then most other light fixtures (you will still need some sort of cooling though). If you are interested in this route, let me know and I can find the links I had before when looking into this in the past.

4. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

I'm thinking LED because I'm not sure I could fit the other in my lid... So I'm prob going to have to retro fit something...

5. outlaw

Hopefully this is OK. I'm not advertising or trying to get a kicker from them, but they sell some of the highest rated LED's. They do come at a cost though.

Cree XLamp XR-E Star LED - 100 Lumen (low as $7.49ea)
    Endorstar LED w/ Luxeon Rebel LED - up to 300 Lumen (white) (low as $5.99ea)
    Luxeon K2 Star LED - up to 220 Lumen (white) (low as $6.97ea)

They also have some plain 5mm LED's as low as $.88ea. If you are not looking to have any live plants, I would try to find cheap and bright LED's. But remember you often get what you pay for.

The narrower the beam is the deeper it will penetrate the water but the more you will need to light up a bigger area.

What about diy cfl's? A few of those in each hood with a good reflector would likely cost a lot less then most LED jobs and be a lot easier.

Couple of these: 2 way light socket
    699.jpg

with these: CFL's
    702.jpg

Or if that wont fit if the hood is too short. Maybe something that would accommodate these:
    703.jpg
    27W T4

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

wow thx for the info I had thought about a CFL or power compact but the length and height of the lighting fixtures 12.75 long x 5.125 wde x just under 2.00 deep... Ill check out the links you sent thanks again

7. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

I cant find the measurements on the power compacts to figure out if I could fit it.

8. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

well this is what it looks like today, it has cleaned up nicely and I added the two AC 70's yesterday..... well in about a month im going to start.... the lights look bright but they are only 8 watts per side

9. outlaw

looks like the avg size for the scre in is 5.7"x2.7". There was one that was 2.1" diameter but that still wouldn't fit. and at 5.7"x2 and the socket, it would be pushing the length too.

The T4's didn't give a width/height but are about 8.5" long. The one in the pic above is 5.7" and 27w. Would just need to find the socket and ballast to mount in the hood and figure if it will all fit.

I was getting the dimensions from  

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

great thx

11. outlaw

np, here's a large DIY LED that someone did for saltwater but can be used the same way.

DIY LED Satwater

There is a lot of info in there but the post is rather long.

12. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

I added a new picture in the starter thread of the lights I'm testing out

13. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

I found this light that looks perfect for the tank....  

14. outlaw

Looks nice. 7"w x 2.5"h x 12"l. Just a little bigger overall and not as long. How is the opening over the tank?

15. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

this should cover perfectly it is just under 12" long and 5 1/2 wide.... I'm bidding on two of them on ebay that if I dont win I'll then buy from pet mountain.

16. outlaw

Cool and Good Luck!

17. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

4/2/10 I just adeded a new picture with the new substrate in the tank in the original thread

18. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

Looks great

19. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

20. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I dont have much to add in terms of help. But that tank is one cool tank! Very different I like it. Congrats!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice