Ok-ow!

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

OUCH! How do we explain to conures that freckles are not ticks that need to be removed?

"OW, OW, OW" and "gentle" aren't working. Then he gets mad and bites me because I move him away from it. I think he gets offended that I'm stopping him from grooming me.

I see his perspective, but would really like some way of negotiating this to a less painful process:;laughing

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I got a giggle out of this.
    lol, Sounds really cute even if it is painful. :)

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Just the title made me start laughing..

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Foundation and maybe a little blush. That's about the only way I can come up with of convincing it that the freckles aren't ticks. Sorry.

5. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

:;laughing

6. lorabell Well Known Member Member

LOL!!!!! he certainly is full of it!!!!! One small suggestion......just move him quietly away ,dont make an issue of it...it will soon become a game if u get excited.....do u remember me telling u about negative attention????...kinda the same thing....thats one of the ways to get a bird to do the things we want...WE MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THEM......it sometimes works in the reverse with "not so nice behavior also"....keep me poated....it is funny though

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I LOVE your idea of moving him quietly away, but getting him to unlatch the "tick" seems to be an issue;D Suggestions? If I put my finger in front, he BITES it, hard, he's telling me that he's not done grooming me.

I agree, it is funny, and it's really sweet, the whole bonding, grooming thing.

What's so ironic about this whole situation is I can communicate what's okay and what's not okay with my dogs using canine psychology that we both understand.

I'm spending so much time trying to find stuff on avian psychology. I KNOW in the wild they communicate with each other and someone has to get too rough so how do they tell each other "enough is enough". I can't find ANYTHING on that. Nor do I want him to stop grooming me, that's how he identifies himself as part of the flock, when we do the mutual grooming.

8. lorabell Well Known Member Member

OK...this is hard and I dont want to OFFEND anyone......but (and u know I have a bunch of dogs.......) but in some instances our birdie babies (in my opinion) are smarter, I really believe that this has become a game for him....because of your reactions....lol( which are normal for us).....for a few days...try not letting him sit right on those special spots...it might just go away(his actions)and move him immediatly when he starts ,even just for a second(this will hopefully distract him...even if its for just a bit)..what ever u do...DONT BE EXCITABLE when he does it....LESS IS MORE....lol.....if he were a wild bird...they all pick at things that are different....ex.....if they had 4 babies and one had a bright red feather somehwere on it...they would continually pick at it(because it was different from the rest)...they would pick non stop until it was gone or bleeding which would make them pick even more and so on.......but by not makin it an issue when we respond...that helps also... I really think its a game to him at this point too...u also can not let him tell u when its done.....u have to be able to tell HIM.....lol.....sorry but Im laughing....tooooooooo cute!!!!!!...hey imagine one of MY macaws getting a freckle....lol.....I dont even want to go there

9. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Too Cute :giggle:

10. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Just keep moving him away without making a fuss. The ones that I tame are the same way. That is just their way of exploring their world. What I do is have a chew toy around. I like to use the small wicker balls. When he starts to nibble on something he isn't supposed to, stick the wicker ball (or other chew toy) right in his beak. Distraction, distraction, distraction . . .

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks everyone for understanding and the excellent advice:)

It IS pretty funny. My family got a kick out of it today too when I was letting them know this latest development.

Lori-I told Hagan my giant schnauzer what you said about the birds being smarter. He said to tell you:;bb:anim_35::giggle: Jake the lab mix didn't care. He's just glad he's finally in a forever home. I also hope that your macaw doesn't catch "flight" of this. OUCH FOR YOU!

I'm going to try preventing access and distraction techniques. Cupid is a wonderful bird and I'm thinking he's going to be teaching me a lot about bonding and bird communication. He is a sweetheart and at least his heart is in the right place, even when his beak isn't:)