Ok, not funny anymore. My last Molly with swim bladder

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Paicavi, Apr 17, 2010.

1. PaicaviValued MemberMember

:( so last week I had to put my black Molly down from swim bladder desease and I thought that my remaining couple was going to do fine since the bioload went down and everything. Well, turns out my lyretail is tilting down too!!! He is still active but we all know that won't last. The water parameters are fine, tested with an API master kit so all I can think of is that there is some bad bacteria or fungus in the tank. I started with megafix yesterday cause obviously the water changes did little good. Got a new thermometer and he is not stresses out. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  2. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Did you cycle your tank with these mollies? Your profile shows that you still have ammonia in your tank which is toxic to fish. Even though mollies are rather hardy fish, ammonia will weaken their immune system and cause great stress and higher chances of diseases.

Good luck

3. ZenialValued MemberMember

Hi Pai!

Swim Bladder is usually caused by polluted water OR a poor diet. It can also disguise an underlying bacterial infection which _appears_ as swim bladder (lack of coordination, buoyancy and energy).

If your ammonia is not 0, make it 0. Your fish will be grateful!

What/how much/how often are you feeding your fish? Supermarket fish food alone might not be good enough for them. Don't be afraid to feed them some vegetables: peas, spinach, spouts. Either that or your could be over feeding, it can be hard to get the balance right.

I'm having trouble finding out what megafix actually treats... only thing google found was your other threads on this subject made only a matter of days ago.... I have my fingers crossed that it works for you, but I think if you haven't seen any improve due to it in 4 days, it's not going to help. Sorry. :(

In my opinion your best chances are with frequent water changes and barely feeding your fish.

EDIT: Swim Bladder isn't contagious, if you've lost all your other mollies to it, are you sure you've made the right diagnosis?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. PaicaviValued MemberMember

Good point Zenial, but all the signs I read about are there, seining vertical, no other symptoms, lying on the bottom, eventually their tail looks paralyzed. With my black Mollie I was changing like 30% of water daily with prime and tap water conditioner. I feed once a day a mix of tropical flakes, algae wafers and frozen bloodworms (not all together), I've tried the peas, increased temp, salt, lower ph, etc,etc,etc. Not all at the same time of course. I'm starting to think I don't have a wet thumb! Seriously anything I didn't mention out there? It looks like a pharmacy next to my tank, there's more stuff than in my pantry!!And that gosh darn ammonia that won't go away, arggg!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  5. ZenialValued MemberMember

6. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

When I first started, I only managed to kill off every fish I bought. Then I found these forums and I'm glad to say, no more dead fish. So you've come to the right place. You will get the hang of it.

You may get a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and add it to your tank. It should clear out your ammonia problem in 7-10 days. Maybe even quicker since you've already started your cycle.

7. PaicaviValued MemberMember

So I have this white little ricks in a container in the rank, I don't know if that is Zeolite?. And also I thought tetra safestart actually puts ammonia in the tank to start the cycle, is that wrong? And then what does it do. Thank you guys for your support, I've already killed like 7 fish:;smack

8. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

All I know is TSS contains the benefitial bacteria to help startup a tank. I added to mine tank that had high levels on nitrites and after 7 says, my water parameters had leveled out.

9. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

SafeStart is a bottle of the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites, and the bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates. The ammonia to feed that bacteria (so it doesn't startve to death) is provided by your fish.

10. PaicaviValued MemberMember

Thanks jdhef, I just got a bottle online AND my 30g tank for $100 with everything included. Now it all starts over. Is it your advise to use the TSS ang get fish right away? Maybe moving the lemon tetras there to start the cycle?. I think I already know what I want for both tanks. I want to get a betta soon for my 10g. Maybe I can move all my fish to the 30g. 2 mollies, 2 tetras and 2 babies

11. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Yes, you need to add the fish right after adding the SafeStart. If not, the bacteria in the SafeStart starves off.

Good Luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice