Ok, I surrender...guppies are a fragil fish. Restocking options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Blk69, Jul 26, 2015.

1. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

I thought I had my guppy tank under control. Water quality is excellent. 25% weekly water changes. Still getting about 2 months out of a fish before it drops dead. Had a bad case of body rot (two months ago), thought that was licked. Recently fish would be fine one day, than hang out at the bottom the tank the next morning and by afternoon be dead. Typically losing a fish a week. Their gills movement would become very rapid right before death. Now one of my fish has the body rot again. Body rot is about in middle their body the skin will discolor, raised scales, tail movement will become very limited and then death.

I try to keep around 10 adult guppies and 20 fry in my 75 gallon tank. Thinking guppies are just not going to work for me...never lost a gold fish in the tank in over 2 years. Thinking about going a different direction with tank. Can any one recommend more hearty fish? Any other live bears more decease resistant. How do rosy barbs fair?

Thinking about taking my fish out of tank, wiping it down with bleach, boiling my substrate and filter in water to see if that will help?

2. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Mollies are hardy fish, gold barbs are hardy also I cycled my 29g with these two fish.

Guppies were my first fish in a 10g 3 years ago and I never did water changes or add any conditioner when I toped off the tank and they survived a long time. By any chance were your guppies fancy guppies? I think fancy guppies are less hardy than the normal guppies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    B

Got this online

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Read more:  

How is this list?

4. Gekco

If you plan on putting all of those species in your tank the betta won't work out. Some people say bettas can go with other fish but I see most people saying not to do it.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm, sure it wasn't just bad stock? Ime, guppies are quite hardy, but I guess just some people have a hard time with different fish. :) Sorry for your losses in any case. :(

As for hardy fish, zebra danios are very hardy, but you have to keep them in schools.

Be very, very, very careful when using bleach in fish tanks. Also, when you said "boiling the filter", do you mean the filter media?

6. OP
    OP
    B

Found this at

[h=3]Fish species to avoid[/h]
    Avoid these especially during tank cycling. Even beyond that, these species are quite delicate and can die easily if conditions are not prime and stable. We’ve kept many of these over the years and it seems that every other month or so, one will disappear or is found stuck to the filter intake for reasons unknown.

[​IMG]Guppies – A gorgeous little fish, unfortunately years of inbreeding have created a very touchy immune system and created a very delicate species.

7. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Cherry barbs: pretty, fun to watch. Zebra danios: fast, fun to watch. :). I'm pretty sure rosey barbs are pretty hardy but I've never owned one. Oh yeah platys are pretty hardy too.

Sorry about your guppies :(

good luck stocking!

8. OP
    OP
    B

Ya, I am going to boil the media. Planning on soaking the filter, heater, decorations, etc in a bleach solution.

9. Gekco

Regarding the bleach and boiling, doing so will kill your BB and if your tank is already cycled you will need to re cycle your tank.

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

To address one of your above posts, I don't recommend bettas in that tank size. They must come to the top for air, as they are labyrinth fish. Not to mention that your stocking options would be more limited if you wanted to stay with the "safe" tankmates.

Like I said, danios are pretty great.

11. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Actually bettas work out well with plenty of species if the tank is large enough, with enough cover, but I agree with you, I don't think a betta would go well with everything on that list.

12. OP
    OP
    B

Image removed for copyright

What kind of platy is this?

Remember having these years ago. Have not seen at the LFS (just getting back into the hobby)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  13. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I haven't found guppies to be fragile at all. Do you know or can you find out your GH? (general hardness). Livebearers in general cannot live without minerals in their water.

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Where did you get your guppies from? If you want to keep them finding a private breeder will get you better quality fish.

I don't see any reason to be breaking down your tank and bleaching and boiling everything. The fish were more than likely dying from bad stock. It's not something that would require going to the extreme of breaking the tank down.

15. CindiL

Image removed

Looks similar to a starburst that I have. Just a color variation of the regular platy.

16. OP
    OP
    B

The list above was just a lost I found on line, not what I plan to stock with. Just starting to make a plan moving forward. Yes, I would disagree with homing all the fish listed above together.

Have well water, PH 8.2. 25 % water changes weekly. Have typically only 10 adults in a 75 gallon aquarium (not planted). We do have a water softner.....maybe that is part of the problem?

17. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hello! I have little experience with guppies (had a pond with them, but they weren't fancy), but a lot of people say they're hardy fish. Maybe there's something wrong with the place you're getting them from? I suggest buying guppies from different stores, then quarantining them before adding them to your tank. Since you said the fish would die after 2 months, maybe you should quarantine them for 2 months? Also, wiping your tank with bleach would probably kill everything you put back in it.

If you're set on doing something else with your tank, you might want to get cichlids or maybe plecos? Sorry, I've never had a tank that big.

Good luck!

18. OP
    OP
    B

I am just frustrated that my fish keep getting sick. Thinking I have some sorta death virus in the tank and looking to sterilize. Hate to which species and have the same problems. Who knows...maybe my death virus/particte/bacteria likes bleach.....

Tried to keep Mollies years ago. Kept getting a white moldie type growth on them and they passed. Did not perform water changes so water quality was probably pretty bad. Are they any heartier now?

19. Gekco

You might be able to get away with setting your tank back up and having it run without fish in it for 1 week at 80-85F. I know with ich (you don't have this) but it can't survive with out a host. If other diseases are like this then that would be the best way to get rid of it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mollies are a hardy fish IMO when the water quality is right, as I said earlier I cycled my tank with 2 gold barbs and 2 Mollies (1 died I think from giving birth). Cycling a tank is a very stressful part for a fish and very delicate fish won't survive.

20. CindiL

Ahh yes, I would guess that is a huge part of your problem. I also use softened water and/or RO but you need to add in something to get your GH up. I use Seachem Replenish, which is a liquid and will add in calcium and magnesium. There is also their Equilibrium product but I like Replenish personally.

They more than other fish cannot live without these minerals.
    Get a GH test and keep it at 150 or higher. Your other choice is to mix in half softened, half raw if it is close to your tank. If not, Replenish is easy and you add it at every water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice