Ok, I Am Not Looking For A Fight.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But after years of reading posts of people cycling their aquariums I gotta ask, why would anyone do a fish in cycle, and not a fishless that can be done in 7 or so days? I just do not get it.

Feel free to post what you like. I am just going to read.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know I first considered it (fish in) because the book I had at the time and the clueless-clerk in the big box fish store both suggested it. I know better now.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally can't think of any valid reason, but maybe there are situations where a fish-in cycle is necessary..?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe just personal preference!!?? I did fish in... I lost several fish though.. my next tank will be fishless!! I don't have the money to waste on fish that are going to die from my mistakes anyway!!!

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think it's generally because people don't want to wait to put their fish in or have to have the fish in there immediately for some reason (e.g. isolating an aggressive fish, found a rare fish at the store that's going to disappear, etc).

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think most in fish cycles are accidents made by new hobbyists who think all they need is a tank and water and poof...add fish.

I think I’m fish cycles are cruel and a waste of money but most people don’t know that when they start.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen several people that have problems getting the cycle to work and figure maybe they just need some fish to make it finish. Or, they get tired of waiting and think it's 'good enough'.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ended up doing a fish-in cycle because I had a fish injured in my QT tank and needed to move the other two fish out and the only tank I had was their tank I was in the process of cycling. I used TSS+ and they never displayed any distress from it as the levels never climbed that high before it finished cycling.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I listened to a bad pet store and ended up with a big turtle in a tiny tank. When I got my big 60g tank I ended up unknowingly cycling it using a fully grown maquarie river turtle... At least I managed to always keep the water well in the big tank with a big canister filter, but I got him at 15cm long shellwise and a tiny tank that's probably around 15-20g thanks to the way it's made (It could have been a great 30g) with an unmovable inbuilt dry dock, and for some stupid reason, vents in the sides halfway down the tank, as part of a deal for a turtle with a full setup. Oh, and it had a filter that could probably not even work for my 10g betta tank.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did a fish in cycle for my betta since he was a rescue and I didn't have time to cycle. I had to keep him in the tiny unfiltered, unheated bowl he came to me in since I didn't have any supplies for him and had to wait till they arrived.

However, I did do a fishless cycle in my big tank since I had time to prepare and was patient. It took almost a month to cycle it, but it was well worth it! It gave me plenty of time to plan and repeatedly rearrange the tank before adding fish.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thunder_o_b said:
why would anyone do a fish in cycle, and not a fishless that can be done in 7 or so days? I just do not get it.
There are so many nuances to this question.
Are we taking about choosing a fish-in cycle, where fishless is also an option?
Are we breaking it down by those who’ve been in the hobby for a while, vs noobs?
I also think that if newbs/folks could be assured of a 7d cycle, as you say, we’d see a lot fewer unintentional fish-in disasters. And more people choosing to go fishless. (Sounds like a new lifestyle choice LOL).

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With tss+ you can do a safe fish-in also though. I had to finish my fishless with fish and I used tss+. I didn't test for a week but it could have finished me faster.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that at times it’s necessary to do fish in, such as if you lose a cycle, etc. However, there are some people that choose to do fish in cycles. That’s the way they have always done it and how they will continue. That is sad as you should be willing to grow and improve for the sake of the fish. I have had people tell me I am wasting my time with fishless cycles. I think they just really don’t understand how to do it.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thunder_o_b said:
But after years of reading posts of people cycling their aquariums I gotta ask, why would anyone do a fish in cycle, and not a fishless that can be done in 7 or so days? I just do not get it.

Feel free to post what you like. I am just going to read.
Wow, loaded question. Why don't you break down the pros and cons of fishless or fish-in cycling, instead of berating the ones that use fish-in cycling. Just a thought.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just going to be honest, I have no idea how to do a fishless cycle, and have no idea where to get pure ammonia. I find it hard to believe anybody has cycled anything in 7 days though.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do see the unintentional fish in cycle and am glad folks show up here for advice after the fish store has told them to just put the fish in.

With advancements like Prime and AmmoLock, combined with stringent water testing, I’m curious how successful a fish-in cycle could be without harm to the fish. Not sure I’m willing to test that theory though.

That said, I do cringe when I read about “cheap” fish being used to cycle a tank. Of course, I’m sad about feeder fish, too, but such is the circle of life. Still, feeder fish do not represent the wilful risking or even throwing away of a life where other methods and options exist.

I have read that a fishless cycle creates a stronger, less delicate bacteria colony.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im impatient. Lol. A fish in cycle can be very successful if you planned it that way. And actually they are easier in my eyes to do. Fill tank, plop in a fish or two and in a month its cycled. No extra water changes and no harm done to the fish. I think fish in cycles get a bad rap since most are done by inexperienced people with way to many fish in the tank. Then their doing daily water changes and can't control the conditions of the tank which leads to dead fish.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can tell you that most people simply don’t care. I try go explain the nitrogen cycle to customers all the time, and they don’t want to listen to me. Another reason is the fact that they don’t want to look at an empty tank.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JLeeM said:
I'm just going to be honest, I have no idea how to do a fishless cycle, and have no idea where to get pure ammonia. I find it hard to believe anybody has cycled anything in 7 days though.
I didn't use pure ammonia when I did a fishless cycle; I was too worried about getting the wrong ammonia. I just used fish flakes daily, squeezed an old filter into the cycling tank, and bottled bacteria.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The LFS we bought all our equipment from did not explain the nitrogen cycle to us. They just said, wow, you seem to know what you're doing because you're buying all the right equipment. :|
We lost some guppies and tetras in the first 3 weeks, but this was due to putting too much bioload in before the was enough BB to eat up the ammonia... so we went through medium spikes of ammonia and nitrite... It was not fun. And I feel terrible about every fish that dies in our tanks. I am grateful to one LFS chain store that simply refused to sell us fish till our water was correct...they helped me understand the cycle better.

Our second tank got some media from the first tank, and we tried to get it going with excess algae flakes and brine shrimp (boy did it stink)... but after a week I sucked it all up, cleaned the tank (but not the filter/media) and started with cleaner water. After a few days I added 2 guppies to keep the ammonia going. I don't think the ammonia/nitrite went over .25 the entire time and we slowly added 1 guppy at a time once the nitrates were going. We didn't lose a single fish that way.

That's our experience... not perfect, and I still remember every guppy I had to remove... and even when we had the cycle established and a hospital tank... I still lost my daughter's favourite guppy to who knows what when I added her back (forgot to acclimate her... ).

Even with reading these forums, there are still things I can't find and I make mistakes...fish die and you feel terrible. You test the water, you see 99% of your fish are fine... but that 1% haunts you.

-G

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom