OK, getting stupid here

barbiespoodle

In my new blue tank, at least 3 babies, maybe 4 are brown and a couple are a lighter blue than I want. So instead of just throwing them in the community tank as free fish food I am trying to figure out where to put the old 3 gallon tank to be used as a cull tank. I have even gone as far as to get it started and it's sitting on my kitchen counter taking up counter space I don't have to spare.

Like I need another tank, I have a very small house, and if I actually had room for another tank, it should be a tank of another color. No, not me, I have to get soft hearted, aka, stupid, and set up a tank for culls.

Sigh, maybe I'll get something interesting between the blue culls and the red cull. If nothing else, at least I find the browns have a simplistic beauty all their own and I'll have a way to keep my colors pure.

SnookusFish

Well Known
You might get the odd good shrimp! I just started my cull tank but its just reds so i mught end up with some high grade shrimp popping up in there... you never know! What's in the community tank? If you have a decently planted section you could introdyce the shrimp into it using a net and they might survive

Renaissanista

I have some pretty solid browns from my blues. It's best to keep only the darkest blues together to breed. Culls are a frustration for me too. I have a whole tank of my less desirables.

OP
B

barbiespoodle

Snookus, they wouldn't last 10 seconds in the community tank. It is planted and I have prefilters on the hob filters. Thing is, the tank has been going continually for about 30 years now so has a weird mosh posh of fish, some very old, some newer ones, and most would be big time shrimp eaters.

Meanwhile, my insanity continues. Found a spot for the tank, put in drift wood, a marimo ball, cholla wood and bought a couple plants. Right now it just has an airstone, but the new sponge filter should be here the next few days and I got one that has the same size sponge as my other sponge filters so I'll trade out the new sponge for one of my several old sponges. I figure since I put in water from another tank, the tank should be ready in a week and since it also has the same water prams as the other tanks, I should be able to just move the culls in.

Renaissanista

Yes. Use as much from the older tanks as you can. Plants, stone, accents, filter sponge, water.... Worked fine for me in my new 20 gallon. I don't think it matters gallon size of tank. Some culls accidentally got in th e first day and they were fine, but give it some time. Smaller tanks are harder to keep steady parameters but you could use your main tank for water for water changes. That may help. If you added a fish that might keep the population boom in that tank down. Some small fish eat only babies and aren't that much of a danger to adults. Not sure how you feel about that.

Your community tank sounds awesome. How cool that you have "old friends" there.

OP
B

barbiespoodle

Rena, oh you don't have to tell me about smaller tanks being twice, if not four times, the work. I swore I would never get the 3 gallon going again for just that reason and even using aged tank water from the other tanks, plants and all, todays ammonia reading were way high. I'm hoping when my new sponge filter gets here and then using a sponge from one of the other tanks, it will drop, worked for me in the past. I really would love to have a larger tank to do this, but space and money are the problem.

Yea, my community is kind of awesome in MHO. It has such a mosh posh of fish that shouldn't work, but still does. It wasn't anything I actually planned, it just was a matter of how old the tank is and circumstance. And for as weird as it, it's a fun tank to watch. I have a rocker in front of it to watch the tank and unlike the shrimp, my old lady eyes don't even need a magnifying glass to watch the action. :D

Attachments

Renaissanista

They're beautiful. I have a rolling stool in front of mine to roll back and forth. Those buggers are hard to see. I keep thinking my eyesight is going, but it just might be that they are very small! Lol

OP
B

barbiespoodle

Rena, at my age even rolling a stool back and forth is too much work, :rolleyes: . So each of my tanks has it's own sitting area. The 55 gallon community has a well cushioned rocking chair, the 20 gallon red tank is sitting right next to me on the computer desk and the 10 gallon blue tank has Eustace's window seat in front of it.

In case you are wondering what a Eustace is, well I haven't quite figure that one out yet. I just know he's this big, black, hairy, ocd, pain in the hind end that has to be able to watch out the window and it's a whole lot easier to just give him his own window seat than the effort it takes to undo the damage he does to the window sill. And while he may be this big, black, ugly, pain in my hind end, shed factory, he's still MY Eustace, quirks and all. You know the old saying about the problem child, lol. And he very much is my problem child.

And yea, my eyesight isn't all that great, which is why the shrimp tanks have a magnifying glass by them.

New Threads