ok betta lovers, I need advice Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ppate1977, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Hello friends, here is my situation. I had a pretty bad breakup with my live in girlfriend. She knows I love our tank so she won't let me have it. I'm staying at a hotel for now, and miss my fish. I'm considering getting a betta today to keep with me. I need a few care tips.

I know I can go with a smaller tank. I can go get my established bio filter and media (I put an extra pad in when I knew things were going bad with my (ex) lady. A few Q's: do I need a heater? What size tank is recommrnded? Anything I haven't thought of? I've never kept a betta. But think its a good choice in a hotel room. I have all my test kit stuff. Thanks everyone!:-[

Btw, I'm trying to keep this cheap for now seeing as I need to buy a new home/condo. Any total cost guesses?

Any betta peeps out there? I need advice soon since my favorite lfs closes early Sunday.

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry your relationship ended. I've been there myself. It's not fun.

2.5 minimum tank size. I'd advise a 5g. Around here, the 5g's at Wal-Mart are only $30. All you'd need to buy is a heater. Marine stealths are excellent, but a little more on the expensive side. Hopefully someone can chime in with a less expensive heater idea.

Cycled, heated, filtered, tank and you'll have a happy betta.:;hug2

I hope this helps and please keep us posted.

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Thanks. I will keep you posted. I just can't NOT care for a fish. I miss mine. I'll go look at a few stores. I wish I could keep him in my main tank at my condo I left in a breeder box till I get my possible betta tank filtered. ; (

5. Furallicah

I hope everything turns out well for you.

6. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Thanks Furallicah. It was my choice so its not that bad. We all know what these things are like. I appreciate your empathy. Off to go do some research. I use my smartphone to keep up on the posts so everyone feel free to keep info coming. Off to the store to begin by getting a tank and starting my cycle.

7. Furallicah

I would go to walmart and pick up one of those starter 5gals. They dont have a heater and the filter is a bit strong but they make for nice tanks. 100_3396.JPG
    Thats the 5gal I just have it divided for Quincey and Sherlock. lol
    100_3331.JPG
    Like I said the filter is a bit strong so I had to make my own little flow diffuser which works like a charm.
    Aslo like Bolivian said keep the tank around 78-80degrees so a heater would be needed. As for food freeze dried bloodworms are nice just soak them in water to plump them back up first. I would go with forzen bloodworms by Hikari which are vitimin inriched for health fish. If your not for the blood worma Omega One Betta Buffet pellet form is a good one that most shops carry.

*Edit, oh...Bolivian mentioned the 5gal from walmart....I fail...lol*

8. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Sorry for what you're going through. I'm one of the very few who don't know what you're going through. I've only had one girlfriend in my life and I married her so I'll never know that pain.

With all due respect, have you considered holding off until you get a new place?

9. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Oh for sure I've thought of waiting. My friend ownsthe hotel so I have at least a month I'll be staying there, for free!!! Woohoo. I will set up a main tank when I save enough to get a nice place; I figured a betta would be good to keep me company in the room. It gets boring in there. Lol

One more quick Q.... do I need an airstone or similar device or do bettas prefer to not have all the bubbling.

:animal0068:Back to back posts so they've been merged.

Thanks!
    Ken

10. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Airstones are fun to play with but aren't necessary for a betta.

11. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

A decent, cheaper heater is the Tetra 50W 2-15gal one they sell at Walmart for $14. It's preset at 78F, but that's a comfortable temp for a betta. I have one in my Hex5 and it fits nicely and works really well (although I do prefer one with an adjustable thermostat, but I'm on a budget as well).

12. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Oh dear. I hope you get your fish back, I would be devastated if anyone ever took my bettas away.

Your fighter fish would make for great company. Be sure to introduce us all if you get one!

13. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Well I decided on a crowntail betta. He is cobalt blue with blue fins, except the bottom one, its red. Thank goodness I was able to get a cup of gravel and the biofilter from the tank she holds randsom. I did spend too much but ehhhhh. Went with 10 gal glass rectangular tank. I ended up buying a nice filter and heater. My $40 plan ended up over $100. Lol. I'll post pics when I can. Thanks everyone for all your advice and kindness.

I'm already enjoying my new betta. Since he is my first my question is, do they become more active once settled in?
    :animal0068:I've merged your back to back posts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

14. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely! My newest guy, Amun, is still hiding from me when I walk in the room, but I've had him less than 24 hours. Most of my boys (and my girls) are out at the front of their tank begging for food or just saying hi when I walk by. One of my boys is in a Hex5 right behind my couch and he watches me the whole time I'm on the couch watching a movie or on the computer.

15. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

Yeah, they *definitely* perk up once they're home and in clean water. They tend to be so lethargic in their cups after they've been in the store for a few days, practically dead...I once heard a customer in an LFS voice her concern that the betta wouldn't be lively enough for her daughter, so the LFS employee convinced her to get a goldfish instead. It made me sad...and also that goldfish is probably in the same bowl she was going to get for the betta. Sometimes it's better to go into the LFS with headphones on. :(

16. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh they perk up allright :p
    My imported boys have taken a few days to warm up to me but when I wake up in the morning they're right there watching, even if they're still getting used to the food :p

17. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

I went to Walmart as suggested, for the tank only. I got a decent glass 5 gal for $30. The guy there tried to convince me to get a tiny little glass bowl for a betta. I purchased the fish from my favorit lfs however. The same tank was like $54 there, but I don't mind spending extra on the actual fish.

I have blood worms and frozen brine shrimp to feed him; is this a good combo or should I get flake food as well. I've always given alternate food on feeding days to all my fish. Its just I want to keep my betta happy and learn about him.

I hope I enjoy him, I'm sure I will. I'm interested in eventually purchasing a show betta. Once I get the care down as near to perfect as I can.

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts as they were back to back with no responses. In cases like this you can use the EDIT key at the bottom of every post and it can be used for corrections too, along with additional thoughts. It helps to save some space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

18. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

they really are darling little fish that are full of personality, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them - be careful.. .they are addictive and it's hard to stop at one

19. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Best wishes for you and your new Betta. I'm sure you're going to love him. Awesome creatures :)
    :;toast
    Ken

20. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear this, I've been through the same. Atm my boyfriend looks after one of my bettas, the last thing I would do before walkikng out is take my fish, he would not get him. I feel really bad for you, I know how I would feel If I didn't get to see my little community. At least you are a better person and rising above, keep your chin up. We are here for you! Oh and if you need to rant, let it out, we've all done it...

Bettas perk up a LOT!! They dance for food "the wiggle dance", mines play in bubbles when I switch them on. When I'm cleaning them, sometimes I get my hand nibbled. BUT I don't want to ruin the surprises that are to come. I'm glad you got a tank all sorted and your little guy has a great start. Please introduce him when you get the chance... :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice