Oily Water?

1. NeonTetra11

NeonTetra11 Member Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Top of water has this oily look to it. The fish and plants seem to be doing fine so i dont think its affecting it. I've done water changes but it comes back. Anyone know what it is?

2. swordtail123

swordtail123 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have this to, I think it is just a natural build up of dirt and bacteria or something, is your water still most of the time ? I use an air stone and I have a surface skimmer which prevents it from building up.

3. FinFanatic

FinFanatic Member Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Its a Protein Film. Try agitating the surface using a pump or an airstone.

4. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,248
    What substrate do you both have, black diamond blasting media has been known to occasionally leach oily film back into water?

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,706
    It is caused by food oils and proteins most of the time. Surface agitation should get rid of it.

6. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,248
    BeanFish you are probably right, but a friend just had to gut her tank to change it out. That's why I posted why I did, she has mystery snails and red cherry shrimp that were dying. She couldn't get the oil film to go away, after a little of research she found several more cases of extremely oily batches of media. Hers was oily with a rainbow sheen, like an o slick. Glad most people get along with it better.