Oily Water?

1. NeonTetra11 Member Member

Top of water has this oily look to it. The fish and plants seem to be doing fine so i dont think its affecting it. I've done water changes but it comes back. Anyone know what it is?

2. swordtail123 Member Member

I have this to, I think it is just a natural build up of dirt and bacteria or something, is your water still most of the time ? I use an air stone and I have a surface skimmer which prevents it from building up.

3. FinFanatic Member Member

Its a Protein Film. Try agitating the surface using a pump or an airstone.

4. toolman Well Known Member Member

What substrate do you both have, black diamond blasting media has been known to occasionally leach oily film back into water?

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

It is caused by food oils and proteins most of the time. Surface agitation should get rid of it.

6. toolman Well Known Member Member

BeanFish you are probably right, but a friend just had to gut her tank to change it out. That's why I posted why I did, she has mystery snails and red cherry shrimp that were dying. She couldn't get the oil film to go away, after a little of research she found several more cases of extremely oily batches of media. Hers was oily with a rainbow sheen, like an o slick. Glad most people get along with it better.