Oily Looking Water?

KaitKat
I have a Betta in a 4-gallon "tank" (a small animal carrier that holds 4 gallon of water bc he decided to be crazy territorial and flare up at all filters) with a TopFin Betta heater. Today I noticed all across the top of the water is oily (rainbow) looking. Could this be because of the heater???? It's really the only thing that would make sense bc its the only thing that oil would possibly come from. It's been in there for maybe 2 months now and the only difference in those 2 months is that I put the tank under a desk light, which is a good 3 feet above the actual tank so I highly doubt that's the issue. Should I take him out? I don't want to hurt him by keeping him in oily water but I don't want him to get hurt from touching it when I take him out. Then wouldn't have him in a tank with a heater for a while since I don't have tons of time this week to go to PetSmart. Should I just do that and have him in an unheated tank and get a different type/brand of heater asap?

IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_9087.JPG

JamieXPXP
it could be caused my many things. not enough water movement, your hands, their food, etc. its not harmful its just ugly

2211Nighthawk
It’s because you don’t have a filter (and bettas need one like any other fish) it’s called Bio Film and is not dangerous, but the lack of a filter is. Bio film builds up when there is no surface agitation. There are lots of filter options for bettas.

Gupitup
I had the same problem are you using biomedia in the filter? Also notice if so keep the water return above water level it should help fix the problem.

JamieXPXP
mhm a small sponge filter will be a good option for your tank and shouldnt stress him out. unless your willing to do water changes everyday

Gupitup
It’s because you don’t have a filter (and bettas need one like any other fish) it’s called Bio Film and is not dangerous, but the lack of a filter is. Bio film builds up when there is no surface agitation. There are lots of filter options for bettas.

Agree

KaitKat
Are there any brands you'd reccomend for him? I had him in a brand new tank with a gentle filter for a week which is how I know he is "anti-traditional filter".

2211Nighthawk
Are there any brands you'd reccomend for him? I had him in a brand new tank with a gentle filter for a week which is how I know he is "anti-traditional filter".
Sponge filters are highly recommended. I use a small internal filter with a small bubbler just to help with dead spots.

KaitKat
Thanks so much guys. I'll look into the sponge filters

KaitKat
Decided the sponge filter might be the best option and if he decides to be territorial about it I can always add it to my 20-gallon for a little extra filtration. Do I need an air pump for the filter? Amazon is recommending the sponge filter, air pump, and tubing but obviously, you guys would know better than Amazon what I actually need lol

AWheeler
A small air pump, tubing and a sponge filter. Amazon is correct, this time at least

2211Nighthawk
Oh, grab a valve if you can. It’s helpful if the pump is too strong.

-Sofia-
I had this problem too, you can take a paper towel and it will absorb all of the oil! My tank was fine after about 3 towels! (And I had a proper filter in the tank)

KaitKat
I had this problem too, you can take a paper towel and it will absorb all of the oil! My tank was fine after about 3 towels! (And I had a proper filter in the tank)
Thanks for the quick fix idea!

2211Nighthawk
Thanks for the quick fix idea!
It’s more of the lack of surface agitation. My filter has it too, that’s whu I have an air stone just to help move things around.

KaitKat
Thanks so much guys

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
  • Question
Replies
Views
1stimebettamom
Top Bottom