Help Oil On Water Surface?

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
What could this oil be from?

Image1570748140.791470.jpg

I have a male betta in a 10gallon. I don’t over feed (1-4 pellets a day, or a small bit of frozen brine shrimp). I rinse my hands before putting them in, sometimes I am not always there but I remind the people to feed him to rinse their hands too. The temperature is correct, and last time I checked the water was too. Ammonia 0,
Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm. I do weekly water changes around 20-50 percent each time. So I am stumped on what this could be. I dont know if the photo shows it great, but it kind of looks like sunscreen in a lake when you go swimming.

Please help! Will this harm him? Is it nothing to worry about? How do I get rid of it? Thank you

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank has a little bit of that floating on the surface to, I think it’s protein, my fish have never been harmed by it.

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep, pretty harmless. This isn't the greatest source, but it's what I could find in a pinch. [link] Yours is the top one, Protein Potential.

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Everyone here is so genuinely helpful!! Thank you so much for taking the time to look up that website! And thank you to everyone else as well!! Your info really saved me from a panic!

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What could this oil be from?

View attachment 626721

I have a male betta in a 10gallon. I don’t over feed (1-4 pellets a day, or a small bit of frozen brine shrimp). I rinse my hands before putting them in, sometimes I am not always there but I remind the people to feed him to rinse their hands too. The temperature is correct, and last time I checked the water was too. Ammonia 0,
Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm. I do weekly water changes around 20-50 percent each time. So I am stumped on what this could be. I dont know if the photo shows it great, but it kind of looks like sunscreen in a lake when you go swimming.

Please help! Will this harm him? Is it nothing to worry about? How do I get rid of it? Thank you
Mine also had those first I thought it was because I didn't have him a filter but even when I put one it's still got a little oil but it seems doing nothing to my betta so I just ignore it.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can also take a cup and slightly press it into the water near the film and it should suck it all in and repeat if you still have more film on the water.

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your picture looks just like my tank. I find this is very common and not detrimental to the health as my Betta lived for almost 5 years :) It is harmless but if you are set on removing it I have used the cup trick mentioned above as water changes with a siphon didn't remove it well at all since the layer floats and the siphon is below the surface.
Not sure if it is related but when I had floating plants it was gone. I believe it had something to do with them removing the excess nutrients from the water. So you could try that to remove it too! If it doesn't work at least you have pretty plants right?

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies everyone! Glad to know it wont harm him. But I ran into another water surface problem...28]

A little while ago I tried to feed him baby brine shrimp.. it was too small for him to realize it was food so he ignored it. (I have since gotten adult brine shrimp, and he LOVES it!)But all of that baby brine shrimp is tricky to clean up, so I feel as though its still floating around on my waters surface.

Could this be baby shrimp? Or does it look like something else. Either way, does anyone know how to get it out?

Thank you!!

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oof. All I can say to what could possibly be dead or alive baby brines would be frequent small water changes; suck water out of the areas most densely populated by this stuff and replace it with new conditioned water. Unfortunately it'll take time. They look too small to scoop out with a fine net.

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oof. All I can say to what could possibly be dead or alive baby brines would be frequent small water changes; suck water out of the areas most densely populated by this stuff and replace it with new conditioned water. Unfortunately it'll take time. They look too small to scoop out with a fine net.
Ok! It was frozen brine shrimp. Is it possible it is still alive?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I have 5 x 3 spot (golden) gourami in my tank & like your betta they're air breathers so while the oily film is not generally an issue unless the surface agitation is not good which could lead to poor dissolved oxygen levels it's not in my opinion good for fish with labyrinth organs so I added a small surface skimmer to my tank which took care of the problem (Eheim Skim 350 Micro Surface Skimmer).

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They wouldn't be alive if they were frozen, that's probably a one in a million hence of one surviving, if that.

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have 5 x 3 spot (golden) gourami in my tank & like your betta they're air breathers so while the oily film is not generally an issue unless the surface agitation is not good which could lead to poor dissolved oxygen levels it's not in my opinion good for fish with labyrinth organs so I added a small surface skimmer to my tank which took care of the problem (Eheim Skim 350 Micro Surface Skimmer).
Ok thanks! I may try that!

pearle

Reaction score
You can also take a cup and slightly press it into the water near the film and it should suck it all in and repeat if you still have more film on the water.
Seconding this, it is quicker and less wasteful than paper towels IMO. And much more satisfying!

Bettas28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Does anyone else have any suggestions for the floating bits on top?

Thank you everyone again for all of your help!
I am so grateful!! You’ve helped me through many a panic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom