Ohh NO!!!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure where to post this, but I need a quick response. I just over at my tank and noticed my cats were batting something around, I looked down and it was my Silver Molly. She was flapping her fin slightly so I scooped her into the net and placed her in a cup with my tank water. At first she didn't moved and looked dead, but now she is swimming a little bit and being more active. Should I add her back into the tank or wait a while?

I've never had a fish jump out of my tank and I'm not really for sure how she got out. The tank is covered, expect for about 10 inches in the back where the filters are. That's the only place she could have came from.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
edit: ninja'd by meenu

Sorry to hear that you had an escapee.

At first, I didn't realise you were referring to feline cats

If you've got some stress coat or similar, I would add some to the tank and the cup.

If she seems capable of 'holding her own' then I'd add her back to the tank. i.e. she won't get bullied by other tank mates in her weakened state.

As for the jumping out of the tank, if it's happened once, it'll happen again. Is there any way you can cover the gap? Doesn't have to be anything solid, something like fly-screen, or even a filter wool type stuff.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I added her back and she hung out at the top for a bit, then swam to the bottom under some plants and into a good hiding spot. Not sure if she'll make it, because she looked pretty shocked. I'll keep an eye on her and check first thing in the morning, if she's still alive before I go to bed.

Yeah, both my feline cats were standing over her and one was pushing her around with his paw. The cats would have had to bring her around the front of the tank, unless she landed on top of the hood and fell to the front, but that's quite a jump. Fortunately, we've never fed our cats "people" food so they probably didn't know what to do with it.

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh no I hope he is ok

Tanman19az

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh man! This sucks! Poor molly!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a convict "jump for it" a few months ago. I put her in a quarantine tank, added stress-coat and vitachem and gave her some garlic juice soaked food. She's made a full recovery.

I hope this helps and your molly makes a full recovery.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best wishes for a full recovery!

Ken

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry, I hope your fish recovers.
I cover any gaps with plastic craft mesh. It can be easily cut to fit any opening.

Good luck!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately, my Mollie didn't make it through the night.

I'll have to get some mesh covering to prevent this from happening again.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so sorry for your loss

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm so sorry. One of my ACFs jumped out and I found him this morning full of dog hair. So far he's fine. May I suggest along with the mesh covering, or until your able to get some to take the water level down a few inches?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear.
You tried your best to save her.
Unfortunately these things do happen from time to time (I know it doesn't help make you feel any better).

Hope you find some mesh to suit.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads