Oh water changes... what would I do with you?

1. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

1) Have this afternoon free to snuggle up on the couch and watch TV
    2) Have a lot more clothing that isn't stained by chemicals
    3) Not get water all over my floor
    4) Not have a sore back from hauling buckets
    5) Not get nasty fish water all over my arm
    6) Not have to worry about sucking fish up in the siphon
    7) Not have a kitty who tries to jump into the tank while the lid is off
    8) Not have fishies who try to jump out of the tank while the lid is off
    9) Spend a lot less money on heaters because I wouldn't forget to turn them off and have them shatter.
    10) Have half the water bill that I do now.

Oh water changes how I love you so :p

BTW, I'm doing water changes right now if you didn't guess ;)

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

*giggles* But your fishies wuv you all the more for your troubles! :;hug2

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sheesh, you have that many tanks and no Python? LOL, I couldn't keep as many FW as I do without my Python- it's a great enabling tool! :p

4. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

:;rl Yes I do have a python that I use for the bigger tanks, but I use buckets and a siphon for the smaller tanks, but it hurts my back all the same :p

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. W/C are the pits. I even have a python. I really really dislike it!!...I get annoyed because I have such a LONG python I don't have the suction power that I want. I really need to start using a shop vac or something..lol..

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL! Shop vac!!! :p

I hear ya Kate, fortunately we only have 2 FW tanks that are small enough not to use the Python, a 5.5 and an 8. Those are super easy with a small bucket. The reef tanks, on the other hand, can get messy during water change time! We use the Python to drain the tanks, and we have a Rubbermaid trash can on wheels that we push over to each tank with our SW in it. We need to get a pump and a tube and it would really simplify things, but for now we just use a small plastic container to bail water from the trash can to the tank. We've talked about buying a pump so many times but we always blow the fish budget on new fish, coral, plants, etc.!

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I really wish there was a way around it. I just hate everything about it. Except of course how happy it makes my fish. :p

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't mind, I just jam out and get busy on WC's. It's kinda fun for me. :)

9. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Still doing water changes........ lol........... almost halfway done. Too bad there isn't a smiley for jumping off a bridge :rolleyes: JK, I know they are necessary and I love how happy they make my fish but with as many tanks as I have they litterally take up my whole day.

10. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

What about these?

:pokey:
    :;fru
    :;darth:;smack:shock::jawdrop::nopity:

Ok. I'm joking on the last one..lol..:;laughing

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Lolol

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's funny Kate!

13. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe... I've used my python in my smaller tanks... it works great but you need at least two people there to do it :p

14. lorabell Well Known Member Member

lol..very well put!!!!!! I think sometime I may have had those same thought....lol....

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Kate, I understand where you're coming from with the water changes. Have you ever thought about breaking them up over a few days? I have over 20 tanks myself. I do my testing and water changes over a 3 day period.

16. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

OMG Harpua, I couldn't imagine doing the water changes on reef tanks. What a pain! Not to mention that I would probably need to get my husband's help..... lol that wouldn't happen.

That's a good idea BB. I have tried that before, but the problem is, I get busy and then certain tanks don't get the attention that they need. So its a pain, but it works better for me to just get it over with.

ROFL Cesch! Those are great. The last is my favorite, lol. I finished my water changes 5 hours after my post that said I was almost half way done. Sheeesh! What a night!

Lol, Lucy, I was a little bitter if you couldn't tell, but venting helps. I figured most members here could relate.

Lol, yeah it works when I have my husband home and he's actually willing to help.

Lol, haven't we all!