Oh this dodgy Jäger... Question

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Dark Sky, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Dark Sky

Dark SkyValued MemberMember

I've got a 150W Eheim Jager which I've never been entirely happy with...

I bought it over the cheaper models because it could heat as low as 18C, but even after being calibrated, mine won't go below 21C (in a room temp consistently around 11-15C).

NOW, it's getting major condensation inside, not happy! I've done a quick search around on condensation in heaters and the general consensus seems to be to replace the unit ASAP. The earliest I can get to the store I bought it from (it's still under warranty) would be Friday afternoon... What're the chances it'll be fine until then? Or, should I run out and get a replacement from the LFS tomorrow (albeit at three times the price that this other shop has them for!).

Would love to hear from others just how long they take to completely fail, and, also, just what happens when they DO fail? Never had these issues with the cheapo heaters I've had in the past!

2. virusmk

virusmkWell Known MemberMember

As long as you keep the head of the heater above the water level you can run it for years and there is no danger of being electicuted.
    But if you have the warranty go and get new one as it should be fully submersible and there should be no leaks what so ever

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Thanks for the tip. After reading around, I'm very surprised to hear how many 'fully submersible' heaters are actually not recommended to be fully submersed...

4. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

There should not be condensation inside. This is a sign that something is wrong. I would take it out before it decides to boil your fish and get another one.

Eheim generally makes great products, especially the Jager heaters (they are what I use in any tank large enough to accomodate one) but things do happen. It sounds like yours was damaged at some point.

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Thanks, I'll move the heater from my QT over tonight, just to be safe.

Hopefully I won't have any issues returning it, when I stopped by the store this came from a couple weeks ago, I asked the guy about the issue of it not setting as low as advertised, he tried to make it sound as though the return process was a long, drawn out affair, I got the impression he really couldn't be bothered and was trying to discourage me from making him have to do any work!

6. virusmk

virusmkWell Known MemberMember

Just make sure when ur go back there that condensation is visible and he has no choice but to.replace it or refund it. Maybe not heating poperly is not good enough reason for him but internal condensation is real problem. I had mine working for year or so. When i noticed that there is condensation i just took heater head above water level and everything was great. If i did not upgrade to bigger tank i would probably still use the same one

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

I was thinking that, but not sure how long that condensation would hang in the heater, it would probably be a good hour and a half between removing it from the tank and getting it to the store...

Just out if curiosity, when you did that did the condensation clear up, or just not get any worse? I'm tempted to put mine in a bucket fully submerged and turn it up full for the next few days, just to see how bad the condensation will get, hopefully giving me a more watertight (haha, oh I crack me up...) case that he can't refuse. I'll check back with how I go.

8. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

You can remove the heater if you want to be safe. Just keep your house around the same temp that you want the tank. Ambient air temps will keep the temp within a few degrees of the same temp. I would probably replace too, heaters are relatively cheap and better to be safe then electrocute your fish or yourself to safe a few bucks.

As for which heater to get, I really like the Aqueon Pro heaters. They are fully submersible and very reliable.

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Ahhhh, that sounds like bliss! Unfortunately, that's not an option, I live in a (beautiful) old house with minimal heating. My indoor temps this past week have averaged 7C (overnight) to 15C (yes, that's with heaters blasting). When summer rolls around again it won't be an issue, but for the next few months, all I can do is dream!

10. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

My Jager in my FW has had some condensation for years. It's not something I really worry about, in fact, I always thought it to be 'expected'. If the heater was assembled in a more humid environment, there may be residual moisture in the chamber. In my case, the condensation has never got any worse, probably why I don't worry too much.

As to the setting, and not sitting at 18, I think I've mentioned it before, but filters, lights and other equipment will add heat to the water. You need to check if the heater is kicking in and continually heating the water above 18, or if it is the influence of other equipment. i.e. does the heater light stay on until it gets to 21 and shut off, or is the light off?

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Hi, thanks for the idea re condensation, makes good sense, especially if they're now assembled in China (as I've read). Re the temp, the ambient room temp sits between 7-14ish, canister filter, so no equipment in the tank other than the heater. Yes, the heater was actually working to bring the temp up to 21, an unheated tank in the same room sits consistently 13-14.

12. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

That's why I love the aqueon pro heaters as the LED lights help you know more about when the heater is on and actively heating.

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Oh yeah? How do they work? I've owned maybe half a dozen heaters over the years, they've all just had a single orange light which is on while heating.

14. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

There is a green and a red LED. The green LED is on when the unit is plugged in but is at the preset temp. The LED turns red when the thermostat kicks in and the heater is actively heating. The 2 LED's are good so you know for one that it is plugged in and receiving power, and secondly when the heater is cutting on or off to hold the temp in the tank. This can help you adjust for faulty thermometers that are a few degrees off etc.

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Sounds like a novel idea, do you ever find the green light a bit distracting?

So just a follow up here, I took my Jäger back to that shop today, the guy (owner of the shop) said it was completely normal, and showed me nearly all of their heaters with lots more condensation that mine. Return or exchange wasn't an option. However (and I did mention this to him), at least now I've been in there, and taken his word for it, so if anything drastic does happen over the next 2 3/4 years, I can go back and have a serious beef against the store, not just Eheim. He was cool with that, and I even managed to leave with a 4L bucket of Matrix for half price (...on a side note, he said Seachem is going bust, and theres talk of them being bought out by Tetra... Interesting...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice