Oh No!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was just getting ready to sit down and watch a movie. I glanced into my 28g and there was something wierd sticking out of one of the holes in the driftwood. I looked closer and it was an angel mouth. My biggest angel had gotten into the driftwood and couldn't get turned around to get out. I considered sawing the driftwood in half, but realized I'd probably injure her in the process. With much difficulty and prayer I was able to get her turned so she could get out the same hole she went in. She's got several scrapes on her, but otherwise looks OK. I don't know how long she'd been in there. Anyway, I immediately changed about 30% of the water and added Melafix. I had it just in case and had never had to use it. Just hoping my angel can heal and not get an infection. Any other ideas about what I should do?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keep an eye on your parameters in the coming days, as medications may mess with your beneficial bacteria.

You could also treat with non-medications like Vita Chem and soak his food in garlic. If your water conditioner doesn't already have something for the fish's slime coat, you could add that as well. Other than that, I think clean water is often the best thing you could supply.

Edit: Meenu!

OP
callichma

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep an eye on your parameters in the coming days, as medications may mess with your beneficial bacteria.

You could also treat with non-medications like Vita Chem and soak his food in garlic. If your water conditioner doesn't already have something for the fish's slime coat, you could add that as well. Other than that, I think clean water is often the best thing you could supply.

Edit: Meenu!
Great minds think alike, midthought. I'm hoping that the melafix will not affect my beneficial bacteria, but I will keep an eye on the parameters. I made sure to use a conditioner with slime coat enhancers because I'm sure she lost a lot of hers. Re the clean water, that's why I did the change immediately. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Pimafix and Melafix are both natural products and should not bother your good bacteria/cycle. I've used them both in the past with no issues.

However, pristine water conditions and the suggestions above with Vita Chem and either fresh garlic juice or Garlic Guard should do the trick. So glad you were able to remove the fish from the driftwood. I know what it's like to have a stuck fish in an ornament. Not fun but my fish survived with no issues and no medications or treatment other than what I just mentioned.

Best wishes!
Ken

OP
callichma

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good morning,

Pimafix and Melafix are both natural products and should not bother your good bacteria/cycle. I've used them both in the past with no issues.

However, pristine water conditions and the suggestions above with Vita Chem and either fresh garlic juice or Garlic Guard should do the trick. So glad you were able to remove the fish from the driftwood. I know what it's like to have a stuck fish in an ornament. Not fun but my fish survived with no issues and no medications or treatment other than what I just mentioned.

Best wishes!
Ken
Thanks. I'm glad to know the Melafix won't harm the cycle. Is Pimafix for fungus? This morning she had white patches on her fins I guess where they were injured during her ordeal. I added Jungle fungus clear because that was all I had for that. Do I put the garlic juice in the water or on the food? If in the water, how much do I need for a 28 gallon tank?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Garlic juice in the food. Just soak the food in garlic juice. I'll let someone else answer about Pimafix more definitively.

OP
callichma

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She's better today. She ate a little this morning and then this evening she ate like she always does. I am so relieved. I'll still be keeping a close eye on her and continuing the treatment. Thanks all for the advice.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck. Keep the water fine and you should be ok.

One of my friends just had a Pike cichlid get stuck. It died, and the bummer for him was it was a fish he brought back from a trip to Uruguay and he had a pair of them for about 2.5 years now. They were just about mature.....

Brian

OP
callichma

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck. Keep the water fine and you should be ok.

One of my friends just had a Pike cichlid get stuck. It died, and the bummer for him was it was a fish he brought back from a trip to Uruguay and he had a pair of them for about 2.5 years now. They were just about mature.....

Brian
That's really too bad. It was such a scary thing when my angel was stuck in that driftwood. I really thought I wasn't going to be able to get her out. This morning, she's shed half of her tail fin which was broken and lost its blood supply. She's swimming around well, though, and her appetite is good. She is a marbled veiltail, and she was red orange on her head. She had lost that color yesterday, but today it is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom