Oh No!

1. Tavel Well Known Member Member

I lost two fish to the siphon tube in the past few weeks! The first was a harlequin rasbora that got stuck at the tube opening and was literally pulled inside out, the second was a white cloud that went clean through but was dead in the bucket.

Do you guys think they may have been a little sick to begin with, and so couldn't fight the minuscule current? Especially the second one that went right through...going through the tube shouldn't kill a fish, right?

I'm sad and very frustrated with myself. I can't help but wonder if this only happens because I walk away from the siphon for a few minutes at the end.

*sigh* I don't know what to do right now, just...GRR!

edit: I inspected the dead fish and I am confident it was already sick and very close to death. It was probably just sitting in one of the plants. The fins are ragged and slightly discolored, and it's the one I always thought was a little sickly.

It had it's fins clamped ever since I got it (a year ago) and swallowed a lot of air at feeding times so it'd get stuck on the surface until it "passed" the air.

I dunno, I suppose it's just impressive it lived this long anyway.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yikes, what kind of siphon do you use? Mine has a trap built in to it so that fish can't fit but the waste can. I;m sorry for your troubles.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm really sorry.
    I've heard of people syphoning up healthy fish.
    That's always been a fear of mine.
    I never take my eyes off of it.

4. Borisbbadd Guest

Mine is a hand held siphon, so I can't walk away from it.

I did give a ride to a Zebra Donio once, luckily, it did'nt hurt him any........:whistling:

5. crazedACD Member Member

So sorry that happened to you.

Maybe you should look into like. a piece of the stuff that goes on the end of a faucet? stick it up there so large particles can through but not the fishies.

6. scatty Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss Tavel. I'm always scared the same is going to happen to me, as my neons seem intrigued by the syphon tube and hang around it the whole time it's in the tank. I wouldn't have thought it would kill a fish though. Unless it pulls it inside out i guess. How horrible for you! :console:

7. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

My big python tube came with a fish guard for the end and my little hand held gravel vac's all sit with the ends buried in the gravel when i walk away...
    RIP to you're adventurous little guys...

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Sorry to hear that you are losing fish. I would suggest adding a sponge to the end of the siphon so the fish don't get sucked up into it.
    Ken

9. Tavel Well Known Member Member

hmm, all good suggestions.

I can't find a siphon with a purpose built fish guard (I don't use pythons either). Does anyone have any suggestions.

I think I'll find some foam in the mean time...but I like the poop to go IN the bucket lol!

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Doh! I see your point :) lol
    Have you tried www.drsfostersmith.com to see what they may have to offer in the lines of a safe siphon?
    Ken

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I got mine at PetCo. It has a thing you squeeze to start the flow so you don't have to use your mouth, and a guard in it to keep fish from going up. They didn't have it at petsmart, only petco. You could try there.