Oh no...

1. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I have been vacationing over the past week, and just came home to a sick betta. I had a trusted person fish-sit for me, but apparently said fish-sitter apparently was having a little bit too much fun feeding my betta. I found the tank littered with rotting fish food, and my poor betta sitting lethargic on the sand. I immediately did a 50% water change, and got as much food out with a turkey baster as I possibly could, but there's so much of it. My betta doesn't look to be in good condition, I still have to test the water and completely assess the situation. Thankfully, if it is an ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate issue, prime has that taken care of for now, I'm gonna do another 50% WC tomorrow.
    Anyone know if I can do anything except clean, do water changes and hope he recovers?

2. celizabethh3 Member Member

Awe, poor fishy. :( I'm kind of afraid to vacation now that I have 3 tanks because I don't think I could trust anyone with my fish.

I think water changes are your best bet right now and I'm glad you're using Prime too. Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh dear, syphon out as much of the left over food as you can & do daily water changes for a couple of days, hopefully the test won't show any drastic spikes

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

maybe fast him for a day or two and the. Give him a pea? Incase of bloating.

5. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Here are the test numbers:
    Ammonia: Looks to be a bit below 0.50 PPM
    Nitrite: 1 PPM
    Nitrate: Looks to be just above 40 PPM

Keep in mind this is after a 50% WC, you would not believe the amount of food on the bottom. My bio filter just can't keep up...

Edit: angelbear, don't worry, he will be fasted for at least a half a week, but I don't think he will eat right now with the condition he is in. No visible bloating either.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd do another change now to get that nitrite down, poor fish he'll be glad you're home to sort him out

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I actually have to leave for a bit, but when I get home he will get another water change.

8. SW5 Well Known Member Member

He seems to be perking up a bit, swimming slowly, not like himself, but it's something...

9. celizabethh3 Member Member

Keep up with the water changes. :) I'm glad he's perking up though. Hopefully in a couple of days he'll be back to his normal self.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Clement Chee Initiate Member

Aww... it breaks my heart to read this. Hope it is going to be okay.

11. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Okay, I examined the tank this morning, and found fungus coating just about everything, and the siphon won't lift it. I'm afraid I am going to be forced to set up my 5 gallon, which has a broken light and I don't have a filter for it, but it will be better than the conditions he is in right now, and it is going to take a lot of time to fix the problem. I will be doing 50% water changes in his emergency 5 gallon every day to compensate for the lack of a filter. I was really hoping my 2.5 project would work well this time, but no such luck.

12. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

oh no! I am sorry to hear things took a turn for the worse again. Hopefully things will get better soon.

13. SW5 Well Known Member Member

He is being drip acclimated to the 5 gallon right now... I really hope that in there he will recover...

14. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

with you to care for him I am sire he would. Once you get everything cleaned and sanitized you might be able to move the filter over to your 5g temporarily.

15. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Good thinking. I would have to get new media for it though. Actually, I think I might have a spare filter sponge somewhere... Any additives that I could put in the tank to help him recover from all of this?

16. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

If he is going to be in the tank any amount of time and with new media, maybe a bottle of TSS or seeded filter media to help get your cycle started again.

If he seems stressed out after everything maybe a little AQ salt in with his water. It might help him perk up some more might not.

I think the only real thing you could give him is time though. If he won't eat a pea to help rid himself of any blockages from all the extra food and you are worried you could do the Epson salt bath to help that. But you said no bloating so that may not be needed.

17. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all of your help, angelbear. :) He is in the tank now, and has perked up tremendously. He is swimming about, almost acting like his normal self, when I say almost, he seems to be a bit more sluggish than usual, but he was the same way when he was first introduced into the 2.5 gallon.

18. SW5 Well Known Member Member

He seems to have recovered, swimming like normal. The water in the 2.5 must have been really bad, he would not move in there.

19. Clement Chee Initiate Member

That is a good sign!

20. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Despite my best effort, things for my poor betta boy took a serious turn for the worse today. He was really lathargic, and began doing the betta "death hang" He was not responding if I were to tap on the glass, and was breathing very hard, so I decided the best thing to do was euthanize him. I guess the water in the 2.5 had already taken its toll on him, I kept the water in his emergency tank in great condition. I am heart broken now, I really did love him, I just wish that this didn't have to happen to him... RIP :'(