Oh no!!! What happened to my boy??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My beautiful dragon Sirius is all torn up! I just went on my daily rounds, talking to each boy, and found Sirius like this! I know what to do - clean water, garlic, vita chem, but what happened??? Do I have another tail muncher on my hands???? I'm even wondering if the cat stuck her paw into the tank and got him?? Ack! I'm freaking out! Should I isolate him??? He is also moving around very quickly, as if he's nervous, so that makes me think maybe the cat did get him??? ??? :'(

Attachments

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about Sirius. :console: If it was your cat, your tank cover would've been opened right? IMO, it couldn't be your cat, if it was, you wouldn't see Sirius right now...

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There is a open gap in the back of the hood where the filter used to be, I'm thinking maybe she stuck a paw in through there and swatted??? I don't know if it's possible or I'm grasping at straws, if it wasn't the cat I guess he munched?

I just changed 30% of the water, and got vita-chem & garlic soaked attison's in him - he's feeling ok obviously, he was flaring at his neighbor lol

Oh and I just put a towel over the hood for now, just in case

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh... Better watch out for your naughty kitty cat now. But glad Sirius is alright. He's in good hands Get well soon, Sirius!

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor boy

Clean water and some babying and he should be back to normal in no time.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feel so bad that I never covered that hole...I took the towel off btw b/c I realized the hood needs the air- I'll figure something else out though. I also put both plants in his side all in the back so that kitty can't see him back there and he can hide quickly there if needed. I bet if it was her, he thought it was me giving some food so went to her

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BTW that is a BEAUTIFUL betta IMO!
I just thought of something....If you have any old screens from a window, you could cut a piece out and put it over.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try some tinfoil over the hole at the top. It's not the prettiest fix but I used it to stop any jumpers on the hoods I have and it works pretty well.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok it's not the cat. Now Kingsley's tail is torn up and the cat can not reach him. I think when I moved the tanks around I must have accidentally threw it into a mini-cycle, since I drained off the water. I bet that my bacteria died off even though I thought I was fast Ammonia is .25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0.

Tomorrow I hope to go get another tank and get the divider out of that tank, so the boys can have their own space. I know that really isn't the problem but I've wanted to do it awhile now and this just was the last straw

Last edited:

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It seems like it could be fin rot. See the black outline to the fins? This is usually indicative of fin rot. Keep the water pristine, add what you have been adding and you shoulf start to see an improvement. Also if it gets worse, there are meds you can use https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/list-of-betta-meds-for-betta-disease.16170/
Good luck! As always, If I'm wrong, someone will correct me, but that's my thought especially if it has spread to your other boy...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your Bettas aren't feeling up to par. At first glance of the photo I thought fin rot like TigerFishy.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!
Ken

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
looks like Fin Rot to me too.... clean water, with some garlic guard, and lots of love (like always )can heal him up soon.

Good Luck!!

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, that isn't the brown/black edges of fin rot, that is his coloration. What concerned me is the bloody part of his tail, you can see pics of him in my albums before the shredding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom