Oh no! Squirt got stuck

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lyndra, Mar 21, 2010.

1. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

I looked over to Squirt's tank jus now and couldn't see him.. until I noticed something odd about his terracotta house.

to remind you.. the house used to look like this:

521.jpg

Squirt swam into it and tried to swim out the hole at the top... he got his head and his pectorial fins through but the rest of him was stuck.. I thought he was dead so I poked him very gently on the nose with the long handle of a dentist's mirror and he wiggled!! He must not have been in there very long.

I flew into a panic but dad came to the rescue, in the end he figured there was no way to actually get squirt out of the hole so a hammer was found and the pot broken..

Squirt is still alive and is hiding in his plants, the house is gone but squirt has a few lacerations to his body caused by struggling.

He tank had a WC this morning and was dosed as per normal with stress coat.

I really don't know what more I can do, I already dose with garlic as a preventative...

he's currently lying at the back of his tank... he's so much smaller then Firesong but I still thought there was no way he'd fit in the hole!

462.jpg

463.jpg

:-[:-[:(

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Poor Squirt!!! :eek:

I can't believe that he got stuck... I've seen my boy go through the hole in his pot lots of times! The first time I saw him do it, I thought he was going to... but no; came right out the other side.

Thank goodness that you found him in time!

3. OP
    OP
    lyndra

the holes in the pots are sooooo small I didn't think he'd even try!! he is very lucky because his tank is in my bedroom and I was supposed to be out today but came home feeling unwell and had just woken up from a nap when I found him!

4. OP
    OP
    lyndra

He's not doing too well, he's lying on his side at the bottom of his tank :(

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lyndra :(

Keeping my fingers crossed for your boy. I hope he recovers. I know it's hard to see our fish struggling.
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    lyndra

Thanks Ken, I'm pretty upset - I was having hysterics when it happened..

I'm hoping that because he's been well taken care of and already has nice clean water and gets garlic soaked bloodworms every couple of days that he's got the best chance he can have and making it through this... I'm starting to think that i'm doomed with fish that do stupid things.. when I was at university I did't want my goldfish to get stuck under the cartridge filter so I placed it flush against the substrate.. that didn't stop his from digging a hole in the substrate and getting stuch under there.

Maybe I should invest in a couple of pet rocks.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lyndra,

Sometimes our fish just do things that are beyond our control. Each day is a learning process for us all. Hang in there!

I had a Bloody Parrot to get stuck, upside down in a large castle. The fish is large too. I had to raise the castle, flip it over and push the fish through. He was in there tight! He lost a few scales and was scratched a bit but he's still living today. I know the circumstances are a bit different than Bettas (breathing air and all) but....don't give up.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    lyndra

I keep checking on him every ten minutes or so to see how he is going, he has managed to make his way to the top of the tank and is lying on the top of the filter intake head - there is just enough room between the top of that and the water level for him to fit.

I tried everything I could to make sure his tank was safe, I smoothed all the sharp edges down, used real plants instead of fake, made sure that there was nothing he could get caught on and tear his fins on.. I never thought he'd actually stick his head in a hole that tiny, we couldnt push him out because he had managed to get his pectorial fins through and we would have done serious damage to them if we had tried. As it is his pelvic fins took alot of damage because he was stuck right were they start and he struggled a lot. They are clamped to his underbody so I can't tell how badly off they are but there's a fair amount of torn up fin/flesh there... the photos look a lot better then the reality

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

poor thing:( i had one get stuck in a skull deco.....put him in a breeder net so he is right at the top ......continue with his daily partial water changes and the stress coat ....ill be pulling for squirt!

10. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Oh my gosh, poor Squirt! Now I'm glad I didn't go with pots for caves...

:( :( :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  11. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, I'm so sorry!
    Sending good fishy wishes to you and squirt.
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can and that's all we can do.

Please keep us posted.

12. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear of Squirt's misadventure. Please let us know how he is doing. I'm hoping for a speedy improvement in his condition!

I, like you, would never have thought a betta would attempt to go through those holes in the terra cotta pots. I guess some are just more curious than others.

13. OP
    OP
    lyndra

Thanks everyone !

I just checked on squirt and he is still with me but appears to be less responsive - I thought he was gone but I think he was just asleep.

It's 3 am and usually he wakes up as soon as the room light goes on but I got up, turned the light on, went to the tank, turned the tank light on, felt my heart sink, opened the tank lid , waited, sighed, grabbed the net, swirled it around the tank gently , all without him moving, Nor could I see his gills move. ( on close inspection they appear to have taken damage as well). But it was not until I actually nudge him did he wriggle ( scaring the socks off me). And float down to another leaf. he is very lethargic and hardly swims. I felt bad and let him go back to sleep.

Now I shall follow his example myself, I'll update how he is going in the morning

14. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Get some sleep Lyndra! He had a rough day, he might just need some time to recover.

15. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Oh poor little Squirt!
    So sorry that happened to him. Sounds like he is receiving the best care possible, I hope that he pulls through.

16. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Fins, fingers and paws crossed here for Squirt.

17. MyFireElf

MyFireElf New Member Member

It sounds like you did everything you could to make his home safe. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. We'll be thinking good thoughts for you both.

18. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<HUGS>
    I hope he pulls through. Betta's are tough little guys :(

19. OP
    OP
    lyndra

He is looking a bit better this morning. He swam out to greet me when I turned the light on so that is a good sign, he has unclamped his pelvic fins which is also good.

The cuts have gone white now, they were pinkish at first, is this normal? I did dose him with bettafix yesterday

20. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Hmmm, idk if you know but Bettafix is a version of Melafix. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html
    Idk if you knew that but just as a safety thing with me lol. It doesnt surprise me he was hardly moving around yesterday a suddenly stressful issue can be hard on fish. I would keep with the garlic in his food every day for a week or so and keep his water nice and clean using stress coat. Other then that time is all he needs to heal correctly. And yes if I am not mistaken the flesh will turn white after a few days as sign of the skin healing. I wish you the best Lyndra.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice