Oh, No, Snails!

Redgypsy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just found a few snails in my tank. I think they must have been in the plants I bought. I've never had snails before. Why do people hate them? Are they always bad? And if so, how do I rid my tank of them?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Redgypsy said:
I just found a few snails in my tank. I think they must have been in the plants I bought. I've never had snails before. Why do people hate them? Are they always bad? And if so, how do I rid my tank of them?
As long as you don't overfeed your fish the snail population will stay low and eventually die off.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just pick out any you see and hopefully they won't reproduce a ton. If they do there's ways to get rid of them.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails can be beneficial as long as they don't mass produce themselves and don't eat your plants.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love snails, I have loads of differnt types (bladder snails, ramshorn, MTS, faucet, spixi and a mystery snails). They are good at keeping the tank algae free. I do have to occationally thin the population of the bladder snails.

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Snails get a bad rap, IMO.
I'm a strong believer in letting your ecosystem work.
As danhutchins suggested, don't overfeed and everything should balance out.

Redgypsy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome! Thanks, everyone. I was loath to kill the poor things off.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mazeus said:
I love snails, I have loads of differnt types (bladder snails, ramshorn, MTS, faucet, spixi and a mystery snails). They are good at keeping the tank algae free. I do have to occationally thin the population of the bladder snails.
I am also a fan lol, they are excellent cleaners and intriguing to watch and learn from!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom