Oh no, snail invasion. GRR

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just fed my fish in the 20 gal and was watching the new gouramis to see if they would eat, bought them yesterday , and I notice some spots on things. Even with glasses the eye site not that great any more. I got close to the tank and they are on the filter, some fake plants real plants , moss balls and driftwood. I have nerite snails only . then I caught a bit of movement. Some sort of cone shaped snails. babies, And there are lots of them. The only thing that has been added to the tank was 4 or 5 nerite snails a couple of months ago, no plants, no ornaments no anything. I have river pebbles in the tank, no sand and I have never seen any other snail in there unless one had laid eggs on one of the nerites?. Anybody for escargot? Got to check the other tanks to.... Alison

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Uh oh! Maybe try veggies in a bottle to capture them? Much better than picking them out individually!

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if my flip phone camera could even pick them up they are tiny. Alison

I just went to Planet inverts and according to them MTS are live bearers and do not lay eggs. That makes no sense because there are too many of the same size in there to have not come in with stowaway eggs somehow. Is there info correct? Alison

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
According to this page:

Trumpet snails are in the family Thiaridae and are naturally found in subtropical and tropical areas of Asia and Africa. They have a third and very descriptive name as well—the Malaysian livebearing snail. These snails can reproduce both sexually and through parthenogenesis, starting at a size as small as 10 millimeters! Instead of eggs, these snails give birth to as many as 70 live young at a time. With a reproductive strategy like this, you might guess that they can increase in numbers rapidly. And you’d be right.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/taming-the-tenacious-trumpet-snail.htm

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
According to this page:

Trumpet snails are in the family Thiaridae and are naturally found in subtropical and tropical areas of Asia and Africa. They have a third and very descriptive name as well—the Malaysian livebearing snail. These snails can reproduce both sexually and through parthenogenesis, starting at a size as small as 10 millimeters! Instead of eggs, these snails give birth to as many as 70 live young at a time. With a reproductive strategy like this, you might guess that they can increase in numbers rapidly. And you’d be right.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/taming-the-tenacious-trumpet-snail.htm
You would think if the adult was in the tank I would have seen her at some point sharing veggies with Lucky the ABN Pleco. I checked the other tanks and didn't see any snails except the nerites. 70 babies at a time WOW . I got some out with the water change I did. But I just syphoned the water out
with a tube and replaced it with gallon jugs so as not to scare the 2 new gouramis to death. They still haven't come out of hiding as we speak . Next week I will try the new python out and see if I can find mom. I have river pebbles for gravel not sand . Oh well Tune in next week... Alison

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do love my nerite snails I looked them up and they are born in a larval form and don't look like a baby snail when hatched , too bad, I wouldn't mind more nerites. Alison

Kwig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Assassin snails multiply too. Not quickly, but if there are babies you don't see and you add the nerites back in, you could have trouble down the road.
I'd just stick with veggies and algae wafers in a bottle. Cut a hole small enough that your nerites can't get in.

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have no intentions of getting and assassin snail. But thank you Kwig because that is a good point. Alison

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Assassin snails multiply too. Not quickly, but if there are babies you don't see and you add the nerites back in, you could have trouble down the road.
I'd just stick with veggies and algae wafers in a bottle. Cut a hole small enough that your nerites can't get in.
Don't they work like mysteries though, and not pond/MTS, in that you need a male and female?

Annie424

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@aliray, it might not be the problem that you think it will be. I have pond snails in both of my tanks, and they've not ever had a population explosion. From what I understand, it won't happen unless you are overfeeding your tank. I used to wonder why they weren't overtaking my tanks like they did when I kept them in the 80's and 90's, but now I realize what I did then in fish keeping wasn't ideal based upon what I've learned from this forum. Actually, until I joined this forum, I wasn't aware that so many people hated them! Also had no idea other types of snails existed for tanks either....yes, laugh if you want! I still like 'parasite snails' but then again, I don't have a population issue so that might be my bias.

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@aliray, it might not be the problem that you think it will be. I have pond snails in both of my tanks, and they've not ever had a population explosion. From what I understand, it won't happen unless you are overfeeding your tank. I used to wonder why they weren't overtaking my tanks like they did when I kept them in the 80's and 90's, but now I realize what I did then in fish keeping wasn't ideal based upon what I've learned from this forum. Actually, until I joined this forum, I wasn't aware that so many people hated them! Also had no idea other types of snails existed for tanks either....yes, laugh if you want! I still like 'parasite snails' but then again, I don't have a population issue so that might be my bias.
That's okay I was just very surprised to see all the little all over the place. A few would be okay if it stayed that way but these snails f they are MTS than they give birth to live young and searching sites on line they give birth to 70 to a 100 fully formed babies at a time and some sites even say they may be self cloning. It is only a 20 gal tank. And I do feed somewhat heavily because of my pleco . At least with pond snails you can remove the eggs if you see them. I have never seen any snail except my nerites in there. Alison:;ufoMy guess it that's how they got in my tank.

Kwig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's okay I was just very surprised to see all the little all over the place. A few would be okay if it stayed that way but these snails f they are MTS than they give birth to live young and searching sites on line they give birth to 70 to a 100 fully formed babies at a time and some sites even say they may be self cloning. It is only a 20 gal tank. And I do feed somewhat heavily because of my pleco . At least with pond snails you can remove the eggs if you see them. I have never seen any snail except my nerites in there. Alison:;ufoMy guess it that's how they got in my tank.
They breed a lot in my tanks because I try to feed my snails and they swoop in before the nerites can eat. I counter that with trapping when they start to get bothersome. Pond snails I have very few of. I just crush them when I see them and my fish enjoy the snack. I have lots of plants and sand substrate so my MTS are a great clean up crew.

OP
aliray

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a fresh veggie 24/7 in the tank which is in the room that I sleep in. And I get up at least a couple times a night and am surprised that I have never seen any in the middle of the night. When you see pics of mts they are swarming all over the veggies at night... Alison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom