oh no...mystery snail just passed away

Discussion in 'Snails' started by raptorsvt79, Apr 19, 2010.

1. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79Well Known MemberMember

i was looking at my mystery snail...and noticed it was hanging out around the intake tube of the filter....but after a few hours, there he was still there...when i looked closely, part of his body seemed to be stuck inside of the intake tube....as i tried to move him a little, he did not react....he's gone....but his flesh still strong, like it happend not to long ago....i can't remove him from the intake tubing, without tearing his body....should i just wait and let his body decompose...or should i pull him out...even if i tear his skin...which i really don't want to do.....but i don't know if i let it decompose...will affect the rest of the tank in a negative way...plz help..

2. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

what kind of filter is it? can you take the tube off? I wouldn't let it decompose .

3. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

its an aqueon...i think i can take it off.

4. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

should i turn off the filter to do this>

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

yes just turn the filter off for a bit, it wont hurt anything to leave it off for a few minutes.

6. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

ok i'll try it thanks

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning.

Great suggestion to remove the snail body. Anything decomposing in your tank can lead to an ammonia spike. I know it may not be pleasant but you can do it :)

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i did it....it was not easy...the poor body of the snail...was really stuck in there i had to tear it....poor snail...but at least it didn't decompose in the tank...:(

9. ilikefish

ilikefishValued MemberMember

sorry to hear about your loss : (