Oh No...i'm A Murderer.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Zoomo, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

I am so sad. So, still have 2 clutches from the 15th floating in a container on paper-towels and was just checking out my tank and noticed a new clutch.

I was so excited. I got my container to add it to, went to pull it off the side of the tank, and I destroyed it.

Do these take time to set up or something? It was not slightly crunchy like the others were when I removed them from side of tank. It was like pure white, not rose/pinky in color the other 2 were. It was not there when I went to bed at around 10:30 am and was there when I woke up around 5 pm, so were probably really freshly laid.

Do I leave them a bit to harden up some before removing them to float?

I am really sad I murdered them, heartbroken. I could not save it. It was stuck all over my fingers and fell into the tank.

These were mystery snails in case anybody was wondering.

So afraid if I leave them on the side of the tank, other snails cruising around will knock them into the water. Whoever is laying these, seems to prefer the left-hand side corner of the tank.

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry for your loss. My female laid 4 clutches in 15 days, so you'll have more soon. I experienced something very similar with the first clutch, somehow my snail laid the eggs... underwater. I tried to save them, but it was just too late.
    I try to let mine harden for about two days before trying to move them, they are white very soon after being laid. They're stuck on pretty good, I'm not sure another mystery snail would move them, though I have heard weird cases if they aren't fed enough protein then sometimes they eat the eggs. I removed the first properly laid clutch three days after it was laid, and I'll warn you, it doesn't come off clean, lots of the ones on the back will likely break.

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Yeah, I bet they were brand spanking new and I killed them. I will let them sit for a few days next time. The 2 I have floating, I am not sure will hatch because when I did my water change last week, too much water got into the container and soaked the paper-towels they were on. I caught it right away and fixed it, so we will see. I really love these silly snails. I do not know why. They are such cute little buggers.

Moderators, I put this under general Freshwater Invertebrates, and I meant to put it under snails subthread. Can you please move it?

4. Rtessy

If you fixed the water on the eggs within 5 minutes, they should be okay. If they're more than 10 days along, they should also be okay. In my experience (which is limited) I accidentally submerged at least 1/4 of a clutch for more than twenty minutes before I noticed, but it hatched out fine three days later. I think if they're within 2-3 days of hatching (begun to turn mostly purple on the inside and out) they should be fine
    Edit: don't get hung up on it, you gotta let it go. This hobby is unfortunately prone to having the simplest mistakes result in death. It is part of it. I'm sorry you had to go through it though.

5. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

They were just laid on the 15th so only 5 days ago. I did my water change, I cannot remember, but I think Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th. I caught it within the time that it takes to do a water change, not too long. So, we will see.

6. Rtessy

Fingers crossed for you!

7. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

They take about 24 hours to harden. I’m am sorry that happened to you. Try not to be too sad, more clutches will come. I’ve never had a clutch break when taking it off, but I would guess that it has to do with humidity. The eggs thrive in very high humidity and that keeps them moist and healthy. For the other clutches as long as any of the eggs weren’t submerged more than a minute (and the hatching conditions are right) they should be fine. If only the bottom ones got submerged than there is still a chance the top layer will hatch. Good luck! I want updates I love these little guys so much too!

8. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

They were not submerged per se, I have them in one of those Tupperware like containers with holes poked all over the cover for air and to create humidity. I have a paper-towel on the bottom of the container damp, i put it in tank water, squeezed it out really well, and then put a dry paper towel on top of that and they are on that dry paper towel. I spritz the lid every so often with water to create moisture. I then put it in the tank to float around so the lights and warmish tank water create more moisture. I check on them a few times a day. Today is the 6th day since they were laid.

Now, Saturday or Sunday, did water change, and stupid me did not take them out of the tank while doing it, left them floating, so somehow water got into the little holes. So, they were not really submerged but both paper-towels were very wet, not damp, but wet. So, I threw them both out, paper-towels, and repeated the whole process again, so hopefully they make it.

Thanks, will update of any action occurs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice