Oh no his poor little tail!!!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Please everyone send me some hopeful thoughts. The bronze cory that I had hoped I has cured is sick again. I believe now for certain that he has fin/tail rot.

He had seemed to perk up and start eating again after all the water changes I had been doing, but today he seemed lethargic again and breathing heavy, didn't eat this morning and when he finally did swim, the area that I thought was injured that looked shredded, has grown bigger and it looks like he is missing a chunk just behind his tail fin! Any more and it looks like he tail will fall off.

I was afraid this would happen, despite the fact he had been improving he still didn't look quite right to me, and swam slower than his friend.

Now I have put him in my hospital tank and am treating with Maracyn-2. The problem is that the tank is small (1.5 gallon) but does have a bubble filter and heater. It just isn't cycled so I have to change 50% water with Prime every day.

Do I try to add the medication back in that I remove with the water changes? Or does maracyn-2 absorb into the fish farily quickly and that is not necessary? I really had to muck around with the dosage for that small tank, I hope I don't overdose him!

Oh please I don't want him to die! My poor little Hector, he is so lonely in that tank, but I couldn't just watch his tail rot away!

I hope that I am not too late:'(

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
naawww, sorry to hear about the sickness.

I can't offer any advice for treating, but I am sending a heap of fishy love your way, and hoping that Hector recovers.

I'm sure some of our experts will be along shortly.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I posted this on another thread. You could use Stability which you add every day for 7 days and then with every water change. It won't cycle your tank, but it will keep your parameters good until you can finish your treatment. Then you won't have to throw away your medicine every day which is expensive. When I used it it kept my water parameters safe. Hope your cory gets better soon. cories are so cute!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I can't find any stability here in town, so I will have to work with what I've got.

This morning he was still alive, so he survived his first night of treatment. I changed 20% of his water before work, and added back a bit of medicine from part of his prescribed dose for today. In the afternoon when I got home, I changed his water again, about 30% (for a daily total of 50%) adding prime each time to the fresh water, maybe a drop more than needed.

He got the rest of his medication for today, and was swimming around a fair bit when I changed his water.

It seems that perhaps he isn't breathing as heavy as yesterday, but I am not too sure at this point, I don't want to constantly stare at him and stress him out. I have put a cover over his tank so that one can only see into the front and to create a cave-like environment for him.

If he makes it to tomorrow, I will try feeding him a garlic soaked shrimp pellet before one of his water changes, so I can remove anything he doesn't eat.

If he does improve, how long does it take to see some fin/tail re-growth, and could I expect that it will not all grow back?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please help me try to save him, it seems that he is fighting so hard!

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Best wishes for your poor cory. I'm currently treating an angelfish. She lost more than half her tail, and some of her fins when she got stuck in a piece of driftwood. I'm using Melafix which you add daily. It's natural and won't kill the cycle. That might work better for you and your daily w/c. I tried soaking her food in garlic, but since I hadn't done it before, she spit it out. She's eating her regular food well. Hope your cory recovers. I'll be watching this thread to see if others post how long it takes the fins to grow back.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Callichma-I am sorry about your angelfish. It's so hard to treat a fish, isn't it? I really hope that Hector recovers, I did his water change this morning again and he was swimming around, but he looks so ragged! I am concerned about his tail regrowth, and also how to tell if the medicine is working.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge on this treatment will read this thread soon.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you know if the medicine is working when there is no sign of infection at the injury site and the fish is acting normal. I read somewhere that we should feed a higher protein diet when they need to repair an injury. My cories like bloodworms and brine shrimp (frozen). Hope Hector is feeling better.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I am still treating Hector, and I think I am going to do 5 more days of the Maracyn, it says that you can.

My problem is this:
The lady at the LFS, who does know quite a bit about fish, she has had a 55 gallon for a long time as well as other tanks over the years, says that I am stressing Hector with all the water changes (because my little 1.5 gallon is uncycled) and that it would be fine to just fill at least half of his tank with water from my main tank, and then continue with the medicine without doing any changes for the 5 days. Especially since he is just one little fish and not eating anyway, there is not much waste. She claims she has started many a tank this way and there is enough bacteria in the water for it, as long as you start with very few fish.

What should I do? I don't want to stress him, and I do want to medicine to work( I have just been replacing it when I do the water changes) Could I just add a drop of Prime every 24 hours instead of water changes while the meds are in there?

Please, please help!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hoping that someone will have an idea as to how I should proceed with Hectors treatment tomorrow... I feel more comfortable changing his water daily, as everyone says there is not enough bacteria in the water to start a cycle anyway, as stated in the post above this. Would it really stress him too much to have his water changed daily? I thought it would be good for him, and I have been replacing the meds.

Here is what I thought I should do, barring outside advice:

Keep him on 5 more days of maracyn 2, changing 30% water treated with Prime everyday, adding therefore a touch more than the recommended dose to replace the medicine.(I have to because the tank is uncycled)

Or should I be using Cycle for this tank? Just so I don't have to change the water? Some one mentioned Stability but I can't get that here.???

Anyone?

I will cross my fingers and hope to find some help here in the morning.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think Cycle should work--it just won't give you a lasting cycle, but might take care of the ammonia, etc. while your cory is in quarantine. You'd have to keep a close eye on parameters. Good luck. Hope it works for you and that your fishie is getting better.

Can you get VitaChem? It's drops you put in the water which provides vitamins which the fish absorbs from the water. That might help your little guy.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice callichma.

Cycle is generally considered to be a 'temporary cycle' (there's heaps of threads about this on fishlore). Given your cory is temporarily in a q-tank, using Cycle should be fine (IMO). [for long term cycles, the community generally recommends Tetra Safe Start]

Something you may want to do for the future, is to have your "quarantine filter media" held in your display tank somewhere, that way you'll always have ready cycled media for your q-tank. If you'd like to know more about this, again there's heaps of threads that talk about this. [The whole FL community can help point you to some of these if you get stuck]

I would go into further details, but that'd be hi-jacking your thread

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you both for your responses. I have used Cycle before, but then switched to just using prime and daily water changes for my quarantined fish.

If the water changes are stressing him, though, I need to think of something else.

I also wasn't sure about using Cycle with the medications. Yes, I should keep some filter media in my main tank! Actually that's what I did to quick start my betta's tank, it was an all in one bag for a whisper 10i filter, I am worried though that maybe Hector hurt himself on it, the bag has some hard plastic parts near the top of it. It was either that or not vaccuming enough under his log, maybe a combination of the two?

I am not sure if any extra media would fit in my canister(fluval 250) Could I just remove the carbon, or half of the carbon and squish an extra sponge or something in there? Everything in there is pretty snug, so I guess that would be my only option.

Yes, I want Vitachem, my husband is going into the city at the end of the week, I am hoping he can find me some and that it won't be too late, Hector is not eating a thing.

I'm worried! Every thread I have read so far about nursing a sick fish does not seem to end well, has anyone had success with this?

I will do one last water change today and add the cycle along with his meds, as suggested I will just have to keep an eye on the parameters.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have faith, I have just been treating some fish for a random bacterial infection. I lost 4, but the 2 I thought were a certainty to die are happy and healthy now. They have rejoined their community again and are putting up a good fight for their food after not eating for a while.

I know it's off topic, but it gives you some faith that not all the fish have been dying recently, some have made it (I have no idea how though!!)

Also I would use Cycle for this temporary time to help get him better. Go for it and good luck!!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, Tigerfishy, for the words of encouragement. I love this little guy and I really hope that I can pull him through.

I will use the Cycle along with his meds and hope for the best. Today will be the start of his second course of meds, and I hope that I will have some vitachem soon. I don't see how he can last with not eating for so long, but miracles do happen!

All and any ideas are welcome, I will keep my eye out here as well.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I remember correctly from the beginning of this thread, you have been using Maracyn for a while now. Like you used it and stopped and then started again. The organism you are trying to kill may have become resistant to the Maracyn. Maybe you could try something else. How about Melafix which is more natural and won't kill the beneficial bacteria. Also add Stress Coat if you can get it. It might make him feel a little better.

Will he eat frozen food like bloodworms or brine shrimp?

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's right, I have been using Maracyn 2, yesterday was the last day of the 5 day treatment, it says that you can do another 5 days if necessary, so I thought I would continue. I haven't given him any days off since I started. The damage is pretty bad so I thought another 5 days would ensure that the bacteria was gone so he could start to heal. You don't think I should do this?

Yes, I have tried bloodworms, he is so not interested in food right now. Won't even eat his favourite (shrimp pellets), not even a taste. Not good!

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could be wrong, but since you are using maracyn i don't think you could maintain a cycle even if you tried.. I'm guessing that your best bet is to add prime every 24 hours and forget about the water changes, especially since your fish is very small and producing a minimal amount of waste. He might not be improving because he isn't getting the correct dosage of the Maracyn.

I agree with callichma, stress coat would be helpful in his healing as well. I've used that whenever I've noticed any sort of fin damage with my fish and have seen pretty decent results thus far.

Also, you say that you are using Maracyn 2; maybe you could try regular Maracyn? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they treat different types of infections. (Something about gram positive and gram negative bacteria..) I would finish your current treatment with maracyn 2, change out the water and then start regular maracyn, if you are interested in going this route. (Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.. )

On the other hand, perhaps he is stressed from the harsh medicines? In which case, you might want to switch to something a little lighter like melafix. (Just like callichma mentioned!)

Also, you said your q tank has an air stone, heater, and filter? Is there carbon in your filter? That would remove your medicine pretty quick.. If you haven't already, maybe you can add some plants and hiding places so his stress level goes down a little so he can start eating again. Speaking of eating, how about giving him sinking bottom feeder tablets? For whatever reason, whenever I have a fish that is too stressed to eat I find them eventually nibbling on these pellets.. Probably because they can take there time eating and don't have to chase it around!

Hope some of that helps.. And hopefully he starts to turn around soon; he has held on for a long while now so that is probably a good sign!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ladyagate- First of all thank you for your input. About the carbon, I removed the regular filter that came with the little whisper filter in the tank and made a homemade one out of aquarium sponge before I started the meds as I read about carbon removing the medication from the tank, thanks for mentioning that though, it could have been a possible cause of him not showing improvement yet.

I thought that Prime did the same thing as stress coat? Are the two compatible? So you think no to the Cycle use because the maracyn would kill any added bacteria anyway? Do I just add a couple drops of Prime every 24 hours then? His tank is quite small, 1.5 gallons. I could add an artificial plant in there, I have a small castle in there but so far he has ignored it. And the sinking pellet I put in this morning is just sitting there, I will have to remove it soon if he doesn't eat it.

It is frustrating because it seems that he is hanging in there just waiting for me to do the right thing to help him! What that is is the big question.

I have melafix, could that be used instead of the second treatment of the maracyn 2? Or should I continue as planned with the Maracyn, then if he makes it through that try some melafix? (I have some of that on hand as well)

Or maybe just clean water everyday? I know salt is bad for cories, but some people I know said they would just use fresh water and salt for him, that salt kills bacteria also. Ever heard of this?

I need to decide by this afternoon, as he is due for either a water change, or medicine with Prime or something!

AAagh!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom