Oh no, Goldfish swallowed gravel!!!

Lucy

A friend called frantically that her goldie had a peice of gravel stuck in it's mouth. My reputation must precede me because I've had to do this twice for my goldies when I had them.

I went rushing over, toothpick in hand and sure enough, there it was.
I netted him out and laid him on a towel. When I looked, I didn't see it anymore. We were relieved, thinking he had already spit it out.

But when I went to put him back in his tank, my neighbor yelled "There it is" She said she saw him spit it up and suck it back in.

He must have swallowed it.

When I left, he was swimming fine, but I'm afraid, very shortly, he will be in severe distress.
Is is possible he can live with it there? (I hope, I hope)

sirdarksol

Carp are bottom-dwellers that eat all sorts of garbage, picking it out of the substrate. I can't imagine that they don't have some method of dealing with this kind of thing.

It's likely that they have more control over the rocks they suck up than we give them credit for. (I'm not positive, though)

Lucy

Thank you sirdarksol,
I went over and looked at the goldie this morning, it looks fine and is swimming around.
My neighbor says it's 'going' normally. Little pooping machines. lol

gremlin

The rock will eventually pass. I took all the small rock out of my pond because my fish kept rearranging them anyway...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
Replies
Views
pheephee253
Replies
Views
FishOverseer909
Replies
Views