Oh my, the mistakes newbies make

ClaudiB

So I got into this hobby on December 31 of last year. Couldn't have been more ignorant, thought fish keeping was simple. Took the pet store's advice and added stuff to the water, tested it, seemed fine, bought fish. Ended up with several dead fish (ammonia spiked). So I waited for the tank to cycle (a new concept to this newbie at that time) and got more babies. Had so much fun, we got another tank. So now we have one African Cichlid tank, one South American cichild tank. Both 55 gallons. Recently, we added a 29 gallon one to provide a safe haven to two African cichlids that were getting intimidated by other cichlids and so were in hiding all the time.
I really knew absolutely nothing about keeping fish. Have learned a lot since then but the more I learn, the dumber I feel about fish keeping.
One thing I learned is that we should not have bought two Oscars. Had no idea they would get huge or what they needed to be happy. Now I see them picking on each other - no wonder, since we obviously have a tank that is much too small - and one of them looks injured. I don't want to get a bigger tank (space and financial constraints) and don't want to put them in a freezer to kill them "humanely", which is an option I found. What are some suggestions? I would like to give them to someone who knows more about them and has the proper setup for them. They are pretty awesome pets and already recognize me when I come to the glass. I just don't think it will have a happy ending for them or the other South American cichlids that are in the tank with them.
Any ideas, anyone? Any help and ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7411.JPEG
    IMG_7411.JPEG
    219.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7412.JPEG
    IMG_7412.JPEG
    197.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7413.JPEG
    IMG_7413.JPEG
    209.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7415.JPEG
    IMG_7415.JPEG
    223.5 KB · Views: 11

BigManAquatics

I know both my local fiah stores often take fish from people when they find out they are going to be too big, especially oacars and other cichlids.

ClaudiB

I know both my local fiah stores often take fish from people when they find out they are going to be too big, especially oacars and other cichlids.
Thank you. I can check with them.

Fisch

Did you try the classified ads? That may be an option to find someone. Good Luck!

BigManAquatics

Depending on your area, may be a local aquarium buy/sell group on places like facebook as well.

FishDin

You are not to blame for not knowing what you don't know. The fish store however should have helped you avoid all these problems by advising you properly.

Many, many people come to Fishlore because of of bad, wrong, or lack of information, knowledge and guidance from a local fish store. It's a serious problem. Especially for the innocent fish.

Many fish store employees seem not to have even basic fishkeeping knowledge. Also, my local national chain pet store has about 60 years of fishkeeping experience between the 3 guys that run the fish department. They know what they are doing. Problem is, they never discuss any of it with customers. I assume that's a corporate decision. They are there to sell product (fish and unnecessary chemicals and dodads) not educate customers.

ClaudiB

You are not to blame for not knowing what you don't know. The fish store however should have helped you avoid all these problems by advising you properly.

Many, many people come to Fishlore because of of bad, wrong, or lack of information, knowledge and guidance from a local fish store. It's a serious problem. Especially for the innocent fish.

Many fish store employees seem not to have even basic fishkeeping knowledge. Also, my local national chain pet store has about 60 years of fishkeeping experience between the 3 guys that run the fish department. They know what they are doing. Problem is, they never discuss any of it with customers. I assume that's a corporate decision. They are there to sell product (fish and unnecessary chemicals and dodads) not educate customers.
Thank you for your kind words.
One thing I have learned is to do research myself before bringing home any more pets.

MrMuggles

Woah I don’t know who would think freezing a fish is humane, there are ways to do it and this is definitely not it!

FishDin

Thank you for your kind words.
One thing I have learned is to do research myself before bringing home any more pets.
Your welcome. I should clarify however. All LFS are not bad, but of course many of the stories we read on Fish Lore are from people that have been misguided (or not guided) by their LFS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
luke355027355027
  • Question
Replies
Views
beagle
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
Replies