Oh, German ram advice, live plants

1. SeaBones92 Initiate Member

Hello,

I am recently returning to the aquarist life from about a 6-7 year hiatus. I am starting with a 15g freshwater tank. It is nothing fancy a tetra startup kit, and it has been cycling now for about 2 weeks. I am looking to put fish in this weekend.

My first questions are in regards to German blue rams. I have always loved the way these fish look and acted in a community setting and would like to add them eventually to the tank. I have done my research and the reviews seem very mixed. As they are from South America I understand they prefer more acidic soft water. Is this true? I have soft water at home and we have an RO system connected to our sink for drinking. I used this water in my tank. My Ph however is currently resting around 7.4-7.0; with proper acclimation will a pair of German blue rams do well in these conditions? All the rest of my water parameters are in a healthy range.

My next question is in regards to my live plants which I put in at the end of the first week to help with future nitrate issues. I currently have two dwarf amazon sword, green myopia, and two dwarf grassier looking amazon sword relatives. The sword plants seem to be doing well enough in conjunction with a liquid fertilizer and root tabs. The Green Myopia on the other hand seems to be losing color and the thin filamentous leaves look as though the are deteriorating. I know my lighting is not extremely strong. I have an LED lighting system which I've heard is fairly good. My LFS had all my plants listed as low to medium light plants. My water is still a little murky still from the first weeks bacterial bloom so not as much light is available to them as it will be, but essentially my question is how can I best keep these plants happy and healthy especially the green myopia, but also the swords I have as well?

Sorry for the long run-down I just wanted to provide as much info as I could. Hope someone can shed some light on my situation. No pun intended.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

From your post I'm not 100% sure you are aware of the nitrogen cycle (words should be link to article about it). Many people have the false impression that cycling a tank is just a matter of letting it run without fish for an arbitrary number of days. In reality the nitrogen cycle is a biological process that does not begin until ammonia is added to the water. (Fish will produce ammonia). But since ammonia is highly toxic to fish, you need to have a cycling plan (either fishless where you add an ammonia source, putting fish in the tank along with a bottled bacteria additive that actually works such as Tetra SafeStart, or the least prefered method of daily water chamges with a water conditioner that will detaox ammonia and nitrite such as Prime).

Now that said, since German Blue Rams are a very sensitive fish, it is recommended that they only be put into a well establish tank. So even if you are aware of the nitrogen cycle and the tank was fully cycled, I would now would not be the time to add GBR's.

3. SeaBones92 Initiate Member

I have a pretty firm grasp on the nitrogen cycle and am well aware they should be put in an aged tank. I am just curious to know if these conditions would be acceptable for them.

Any comments in my planting situation?

-Bones

4. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I would but as far as I know Myopia is an eye condition, near sightedness. I don't know of a plant by this name.

I would not put GBRs in higher then 7.0 PH.

5. SeaBones92 Initiate Member

Forgive me it is green myrio

-Bones

6. SeaBones92 Initiate Member

I've been bringing my Ph down and it's resting around 7.2 now hoping to get it to 6.8.

-Bones

7. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Myrio does better in medium light.
    If you are going to change your PH to accommodate the Ram, then you should understand that you will have to change any water you intend to use for water changes to match prior to adding it to the tank. The PH swings that will occur if you do not, will compromise the health of the ram, leading to his eventual death. It is better to acclimate fish to the source PH as long as it is not on the opposite extreme from what they are naturally. I personally would never consider a Ram, given that my source PH is 8.4, so I keep Rainbows.

8. Fish Fan Member Member

You can go as low as 6 with GBRs and they will be quite happy. Just take into consideration as you lower the PH your cycle might slow down or even stall so you might want to make sure your give your tank long enough to develop the healthy bacteria before you add your GBRs!

9. SeaBones92 Initiate Member

I feel a Ph of 7.2 would not compromise the health of GBRs significantly does anyone agree with this. I'm obviously gonna cycle my tank with fish for a while before adding the rams letting my bacteria build up and keeping the water conditions stable for a considerable time before hand. My water is natural soft for the rams as well so I'm hopin all will be well in a month or so.

-Bones