oh dear :-(

1. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

my male swordies are acting like they are going to die :(  Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate less than 5 plus I just did a water change with RO water (because my pH was higher than 8! Yes I acclimatized the swordies b4 ading them, 1/2 hr or so, and 1 female jumped out of the net ontothe floor, but she is doing fine and themales aren/t ??? )  They are up at the top, one is kinda sideways amd the other keeps going down 2 the bottom and laying there, then going back up ???

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

:'( aww i am sorry to hear.

The only things that come to my mind, although I am not experienced in this, are:

Internal Parasites?
    and/or
    Are the fish of old age?

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I just got them 2 days ago, so they cant be that old...
    this same thing happened to all my fish, they keep dying on me! No ich or anything, just lethargic and gasping at the surface :(

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Is there enough oxygen flow in your tank?

Is the tank overstocked? (sorry, I am just trying to figure out why??)

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You may have to take longer to acclimate them to the major ph change. A ph of 8 is probably fine for your swordtails to live happily in. I wouldn't try and alter the ph all the time with RO water if it was me.

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

First of all, livebearers like high pH's. Yours is fine.

Give your fish a salt bath! Get a container such as your clean water bucket, fill it with tank water, and add several tablespoons of salt per gallon. Then put your swords in there. Leave them in there until a) they show signs of distress, like having trouble staying upright, or b) they've been in ther for a max of 10 to 15 min. I had a Guppy who sounds just like one of your males, gave her two salt baths (one a day) and now she's fine.
    I hope your fish get better!

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I hope they get better too (who wouldn't ;) ) also my lfs doesn't give refunds for dead fish :mad:

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

okay I'm going to give em a good salt bath, but have a few ?'s:
    1) should I put them all together? there's 4 of them
    2) will a (approx) 5 gal styrofoam box work? It contained a Honey Baked Ham during shipping. It's clean, the ham never touched it or anything (it was wrapped) but is styrofoam like poisonous to fish or anything? I'm going to rinse it out before using it.
    3) Do I have to use tank water or could I use fresh dechlorinated water? The same as water I put in after a water change.
    hmm i thought there was something else...oh well i will ask it if i think of it.
    Thanks!

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

okay i really need help now :(  He looked worse, so I quick gave him a salt bath.  After I returned him to the tank I looked at him closer and his scales are sticking out but hes not bloated, and there seem to be red dots under the scales. HELP!!!!! :( :( :( He is lying down in the "leaves" of a fake plant I have in a corner. He is alive, but I don't think he's going to make it :'(

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

What can I do?? :'( :'(

11. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

HELP! he is lying in the corner, breathing really fast but i can barely see his gills moving :(

12. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You are gonna have to wait it out and see if he makes it until tomorrow. If you can get some medicated food tomorrow, try and get him to eat some.

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

medicated as in....? What kind of medication??????

14. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I went to Walmart today and got Melafix and Aquarium Salt. (last time i used regular salt :-\ ) The male is in the styrofoam quarantine "tank", with a heater and a dose of melafix. I wish i had a filter for it...The heater I got from my friend as a b-day gift. So will Aquarium Salt help him get better faster or should I not add it with the melafix?
    Oh and hehe I figured out that he has a bacterial infection, did some (okay a lot) of research and he's showing all the symptoms: raised scales but no bloat, red sores, laying on the bottom, and now he has a bad case of fin rot. More than half of his sword is gone. I hope I can save him!!!! I think it is because I didn't acclimatize them long enough? But all the others are fine...maybe he was a weak one ???

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

he died :'( last night after dinner

16. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

:'( :'(Aww Emma, really sorry to hear :(

17. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

sry to hear your loss :'(

18. RoboDude Member Member

Oh, too bad, Emma, don't feel guilty about it though, you tried! :'( :-\ :)

19. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Well I thought my lfs didn't have a return policy on fish because I talked to an employee and she said she couldn't but I could talk to the owner and see if he would, and I know the owner of the store and he let me exchange the dead male for another one (female), I got a VERY pregnant silvery green one.  She is now in a net breeder.  Its so funny she is like twice as fat as my other females :D

20. poefox Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm sure you did the best you could.