Oh dear

1. Fish Girl Initiate Member

One of my fish died because I put them in a bowl while I was changing the water and neglected to cover the top, so it must have leapt out. My dad said he'd get me another one today. You live and you learn... :(

2. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

sry bout ur fish :( :( but you still could wait to get another one later ur tank would cycle faster

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Unless it's the only way to clean your tank, you don't need to remove the fish while cleaning. It probably stresses them out more than if you just leave them in there.

Yep. We are all here to learn and share our experiences. Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry about your fish. :(

4. Fish Girl Initiate Member

Thanks - in future I think I'll leave them in there while I change the water. I was just so concerned about them getting harmed by the chlorines/chloramines in the tap water, but I guess I overdid it. "Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." :-\

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

Treat the water BEFORE you put it in. :)

Especially with an 8 gallon, that shouldn't be a problem. Just use a milk jug! :)

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, what I do is get the water I will need in a plastic container, and make sure the temp is right with my spare thermometer and treat it with dechlor, and then do the water change/gravel vacuum with my fish in (my Guppies and Platys are so tame they always come up to see if I taste good...man they have hard mouths! ;)), and then pour in the new water. It is much too stressful to net your fish out every week.

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

yep... i just change small amounts and vacuum with them in it just try not to put the water in right on your fishes head and if you have any fry make sure you dont accidently vacuum the lil buggers up lol... i usually put in water slightly warmer than my tank because my house is cold and my heater is set on 87 just to keep my tank at 78-80