Oh dear I've got FRY!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RaineMan, Mar 22, 2016.

1. RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Spawning twice in 2 months?!? A month ago my goldfish spawned, but did not fertilize so I cleaned the tank and filtration of all the fungused eggs. Now I have managed to get about 10-12 fry out of the main tank and must get all the fungus eggs out again. I setup my 10 gal with main tank water, air tube at the surface, a heater, and whisper filter with 2 stockings over the intake (all i have atm). They are so tiny and almost impossible to see. I'm afraid to siphon the main tank right now, because I'm not sure how many more are in there. I'm not sure If I should feed them yet or not. I saw a video where he crushed flakes into powder and mixed with tank water. They are mainly sitting on the bottom of the tank or on the fake plant that is in there. They swim around ever now and then for a few sec and then kind of sink back down. They stay wherever they land for a while. Is that normal behavior?

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can siphon the bottom of your main tank into a bucket and then just retrieve the fry from that bucket That is how I do my danio fry. The danio fry do the same as your goldfish fry for the first couple of days.

You can also feed them the yolk from a boiled egg. Just dissolve a tiny bit of it in tank water. Since it just takes a tiny bit of it I keep it in a ziploc baggie and store it in my freezer and just take some out as needed. I usually feed this for the first few days and then switch over to powdered flakes.

My fry food is actually a mixture of all the different foods I feed to my main tank. I just crush it up a fine as I can get it and then put the mixture through a fine strainer. You want their food a tiny as possible. I mix all of it with blue green algae powder and all of my fry are thriving in this mixture.

3. OP
    OP
    RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
  4. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You are so very welcome. You will need to test their water just as you do your main tank and do water changes as needed. I have a siphon tube just for them. I put netting over the end of the tube to prevent sucking up the fry. They don't actually need a light but I have one so it is easier for me to keep an eye on them.

I personally prefer sponge filters for fry tanks. It actually serves a double purpose. It filters the water and provides food for the fry. My cory fry spend a lot of time going all over and through it finding tidbits.

5. OP
    OP
    RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok thank you. So It's ok to use tap and dechlorinator for water change or continue to switch out with main tank water?

6. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's what I do. I could be all wrong but I think fresh water is better than tank water.

7. OP
    OP
    RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok so I think I'm almost done. I made an isolation container. It made it so much easier to clean the tank. I also siphoned the gravel in my main tank and turned out there were 3 more fry still there. I have a total of 19 fry. I think I should keep them in there until they're a bit bigger, no?
    image.

8. FishRI

FishRIValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Is that hanging onto and submerged in the water of your main tank?

9. MarkN1990

MarkN1990Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Ever used this sort of thing with angelfish fry ?

10. OP
    OP
    RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    No, I have the fry in their own 10 gal tank 12874422_1698832950364467_769188514_o.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. FishRI

FishRIValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ah, all right. Wasn't sure if you had moved them upon making the secondary tank. They should be fine in the small containment tank for now as that is often recommended anyway with new fry.

Any chance of adding maybe some fake plants or anything into the containment tank for now so they don't get super stressed with absolutely nowhere to hide?

12. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Congratulations on so many babies!!!!! I would. That is basically how I did when I had cory fry.

I've never had Angelfish but I assume the concept is the same so it should work.

13. OP
    OP
    RaineMan

RaineManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yes, I added a softer fake plant from the main tank.

I finally was able to get to the store and get some eggs. I like the idea of mixing the different foods together. Hope I can keep the babies alive. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016

Become a Fishlore Member