Oh Dear, I Have Fry.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mazeus, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Whilst thinning out the water lettuce yesterday I discovered that my sparkling gourami had spawned(I was convinced I had two males so this is a bit of a surprise). I picked up the bubble nest (which was attached to a water lettuce leaf) but put it back in the water. The male is guarding the nest, and the female is garding the rest of the tank. She is a fierce momma and has been chasing all my chili rasboras. The poor chili's don't know what hit them. They have found a few hiding spaces, but I'm sure they aren't too happy.

Does anyone know about the breeding cycle of the sparkling gourami? How long from hatching until the fry are free swimming? Once they are free swimming will the parents stop being so territorial?

I don't really want fry but if some survive I'm sure the independent LFS by me would take them. I always feed live food to my tank (most microworms and grindal worms) so who knows the fry may thrive.

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Congratulations on the fry! I dont know anything about breeding sparkling gourami, but i have raised fry before.

3. 1

123 Valued Member Member

My honey gouramis spawned as well, however, the female ate all the eggs in a second. She will most likely eat yours during feeding time or at night too if she is in the same tank. Then they spawned again and I transferred the eggs into a net hatchery, one fry actually hatched. But if I wouldn't have it separated I am sure they would eat it. It is TINY! It was just standing in place for two days just then it started wiggling tail :)

4. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

They have already hatched, the male won't let anyone near them. Including her. There are loads.

I thought sparkling gourami didn't eat their own young?

6. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

THe male is going to guard them until the fry become free swimming, which shouldn't take long. I would move the nest to a small breeder box to hang in the tank, which should ultimately let the chilis out and about. Other wwise, the chilis are goinh to go through for awhile

7. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Thanks for the advice. The female has actually calmed down. I think it was because I removed the next (by accident).

The male is still fiercly guarding the nest, which he has moved since yesterday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice