Oh dear, here we go again...[Post about water levels]

joeycasperanita

Reaction score
Sooooo after water changes testing etc etc I decided that I would check the water today after leaving it for a day and a half to see what's happening.
This is what I got
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
NitrAte: Around 0

Am I starting the cycle all over again or minicycling? Should I buy something that takes away ammonia and nitrite? What do you guys who've been keeping fish for awhile think? Should I start water changes or test again in a few days? I'd like some experienced advice on this please! Thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't use any ammonia- and nitrite- removing chemicals because they can hurt more than help. The best and safest thing to do when you have any ammonia and nitrite is to perform DAILY water changes (say, of 50%) UNTIL ammonia and nitrite both = 0. If I were you, I'd be performing these water changes. Remember to dechlorinate the water that you use for water changes (if it has any chlorine in it). Also, if it has chloramine in it, you need to use a dechlorinator that removes both chlorine and chloramine.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi close your eyes if you dont want to see this lol

i think anita had readings of ammonia at only 0.25 for the whole time the tank was up and going her tank didnt reach any kinda spike so it couldnt progress enough for the next step due to the big water changes 50%,
Anyone who reads this should note that this is my own opinion and own research and not intended to contradict any advise given by anyone else, As i need the advise of expieranced ppl, but also do research and then decide

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Doing water changes will greatly slow down the cycle; however, allowing the ammonia to get too high is harmful, inhumane and even deadly to the fish. If you are cycling with fish you have to accept that it will take longer because you can't let the ammonia reach high levels.

joeycasperanita

Reaction score
sasha said:
Hi close your eyes if you dont want to see this lol

i think anita had readings of ammonia at only 0.25 for the whole time the tank was up and going her tank didnt reach any kinda spike so it couldnt progress enough for the next step due to the big water changes 50%,
Anyone who reads this should note that this is my own opinion and own research and not intended to contradict any advise given by anyone else, As i need the advise of expieranced ppl, but also do research and then decide
I have had readings of above 0.25 for ammonia before last weeks water change. Never above 1 though. They were around .5-1 and then 0 and then 0.25 when I got my new fish. Please ask instead of assume. I've been closely monitoring my water results and haven't just made up results. I think I will go to Big Al's and just get their opinion on my water test results.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi i am no expert and was only trying help with what i knew and giving you a link etc thankyou.
i dont like to be patronised, if people are asking for help they should be grateful people have the patience to respond.
It is clear some people dont bother reading the information on how to cycle a tank and expect others to do the research for them,
The link is now grudged!

Hello all!
So after my baby died yesterday I decided that I clearly cannot give up on my 2 black mollies who are well and fine. I do have aquarium salt in the tank with them and here are the results after my 25% water change this morning:
--------------------------
pH = 7.6 (higher than usual...but not as high as it's been)
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm (is this too low? what is the ideal range?)

I wish I hadn't lost Princess Plinko Poptart, but I am happy with these results....I think? How long should I keep doing my daily water changes for? (This is the first time since Friday my ammonia has been 0. Since then it's been 1-->0.25)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom