oh darn!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by llfish, Dec 17, 2012.

1. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Hey there,

As some of you may have read in one of my previous posts Petland had called here and told me the 125g tank I ordered was in (hubby's secret Christmas present) and it has been "hiding" under tarps and blankets in the garage. I bought a massive piece of driftwood yesturday so he is working away for 3 more days so I decided to sneak in and test out the driftwood (mwahahaha>:D) I revealed....not a 125g!!!! but a 75g!! DOH!

Still a great tank, and of course still a fantastic present...my driftwood is not going to fit ;( might have to trim it up. And I am going to have to redo my stocking list now ;( always next year for the 125g!

That being said

I am using pool filter sand (if I find it) if not I am going to use geo-system complete (I think that is the name)
    I already purchased a Rena xp3! I will have some serious turn over in the 75g haha
    driftwood
    and I bought about 15 live plants, the associates had no clue the name and from the best I can tell I picked 3 anubias, quite a few amazon swords, java fern, java moss, balansae, dwarf hairgrass, some long grass looking stuff :)rolleyes:), and some other kinds (I know I am a plant noob).

Stocking:
    1 Koi Angel
    1 pearl gourami
    1 Rainbow shark
    6 albino corys
    5 bosemani rainbows (? how are these fellas they are hard to find around here can you mix diff rainbows for a school?)
    1 or 2 schools of at least 8 of some type of schooler

Am I full? Any neat things to add?

Thanks for your time ;)
    Lleanne

2. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I think you are close or getting close to full with the TWO schools. If they are tetra sized. If they are bigger than tetra sized, then you may only want to go with 1 school. Just depends on the fish. Like, I have roseline sharks (torpedo barbs). They are schoolers but they get big. Much bigger than your common tetra schooler.

You asked about any 'neat' things to add. Well, given my signature, I have to take this opportunity to state that I think your lil community needs a mystery snail or two :D Buttttt that's just me. Hahaha

3. llfishWell Known MemberMember

HeHE I have 6. 2 Ivory, 3 black and a gold, I am on a mission to get blues and purples. I was thinking of putting in 4 ;) As for school I have 5 Harlequin rasboras in my 36 with the angel and pearl already I was going to up them to 8 I think and put them in. And I was thinking Head and tail light tetras maybe. I am just worried that these guys will end up as a snack later on. Apart from the rainbows if I find them I have not alot of boom color in there. Not sure what to do. My albino corys might blend in the sand too.

4. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I can't speak for shark snacking. Or the shark, in general.

But the angel should leave them alone. I don't think those tetras are small enough to fit in an angels mouth. It's not like they are neons. LOL! Butttt I'm sure someone will come along shortly to either agree or disagree with this opinion. I would put the angel in last. First off, it might not view the tetras as food if they are already there. Plus some angels can get kinda territorial.... makes it a bit easier if the other fish are there first. Anddddd it would give your newer tetras time to gain a bit of size.

5. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Yip, I planned on adding both the shark and angel last.
    I was thinking the schoolers first. I am getting so excited! If I cant find rainbows I might try a nice school of congos instead. I do have a school of cardinals and they are a pretty good size I am debating on adding them. I was going to keep them where they are with a GBR my new apisto (love him) and a school of glass catfish

6. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I'm jealous of the apisto! :)

A non-chain LFS near me carries congos. They are very pretty fish!

How about lemons? Actually the lemon tetras might look kinda cool with a koi angel!

7. llfishWell Known MemberMember

I love lemons, I was worried that they would be little nippers. I had white skirts at one time in a school of 8 and they nipped one of my angels so bad

8. llfishWell Known MemberMember

I might leave out the rainbowfish, I am not sure yet. What about a school of cherry barbs? maybe gold barbs? are they nippy?

9. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I have heard that some barbs are nippers. Some worse than others. Like tiger barbs are the absolute worst. They nip at anything that moves..... or doesn't move and happens to look at them funny. :)
    I have heard that if you don't get a good sized school, the cherry barbs can get nippy and aggressive... similar to danios if their school isn't big enough. But if there school is okay then they should, in turn be okay.
    I do think that some gold barbs will actually nip at your plants if you are heavily planted.
    On the other hand... some barbs are perfectly fine. The roseline's I have don't nip at anything or anyone.

10. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I have Gold barbs and they're great! Here's a link to a thread with a picture of one of my males:https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/gold-barb/134067-male-gold-barb-flipping-beautiful.html

Gold barbs are not fish aggressive unless they can eat it. Mine did pick at a moss project I was doing but they were going after pellets that got into it and inthe process ruined the moss. I don't think they had any interest in the moss at all though. They haven't bothered any of my other plants or fish and play nice at feeding time with six angels. They are all over the tank and lend alot of activity and color, mine utilize all layers of the tank top/mid/bottom. Just flat out a great fish imo.

As stated above, a proper school size is essential for most schoolers to behave themselves.

11. llfishWell Known MemberMember

ok so maybe being that bosemani rainbows here are hard to find Ill skip them. I found out my lfs are getting me in red lazer corys! So excited I was going to get 6-8. So I might have to change my plans. ARe 12-14 corys to much bottom action? I love the look of the Roseline as well and I found some this weekend in the city. So maybe
    1 koi angel
    1 rainbow shark
    1 pearl gourami
    8 Harelquin rasbora
    6 albino corys
    6-8 lazer red corys (they will look amazing on my pool filter sand)
    and either a school of 8 cherry or 8 gold barbs ( IS 8 big enough?)
    OR
    5 Roseline barbs ( Is 5 big enough?)
    So many decisions Would I have enough room to do one school of either Cherrys or Golds and the Rose barbs?

The first 5 fellas I have already so they must go in they are just tiny and in my 36 g so far. I pray that little shark behaves. My husband says he is non negotiable.
    Today I bought 5 of the tiniest little panda corys I have ever seen. I had one for 2 weeks hanging out with my Juliis and I thought he needed a bigger family! Those and the Juliis will be in the 36 g when the 75g is up and going. I am a cory addict, you guys started it!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I think your plan sounds good. Your school numbers look good too. Anything I can offer is more personal preference than anything else.

5 is the minimum for roselines. I have 5 and they do 'behave' themselves just fine :) And they wouldn't harm a fly. They kinda checked out my angels when I added them (last).... I think because they had no clue what the heck they were and were used to being the biggest thing in the tank at the time. LOL! They'd swim up to one and the angel would kinda look at 'em funny... and the barb would go flying away. LOL!
    They get pretty big, as barbs go. If you have room... I'd personally just get more roselines as opposed to starting a different school of a different barb type. And because they are bigger, they wouldn't really 'swim' (not school) with another barb type. I don't think. Butttt I'm a bit bias on this. They just look super sharp. So I'd get as many roselines as I could. Hahaha

OMG red lazer corys are cool. So I'd get all red lazers!! Corys are so cool looking with BIG schools.
    Can you imagine 12+ of those guys scurrying around on your pool filter sand sub? Totally awesome.

I have pandas in a 27g. I agree... they are adorable and entirely addictive :)

13. llfishWell Known MemberMember

When I saw those Roselines this weekend I stopped and stared a bit I had no idea what they were I loved them! I think I might go with six. And I think I will get 8 red lazers so with the albinos there will be 14 total! love it! And I will skip the other schooler, less hussle and bussle then. Thank you so much for all your help.

Lleanne

14. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

Glad I could spread the roseline love
    LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice