Oh Boy What Did I Do?

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, I was at Petsmart like an hour ago and they had this adorable Betta but he looked so sick I just had to get him. So I got my 2.5 gallon ready for him and he's being acclimated right now. I'm hoping to buy a 5 or 10 gallon next week for him, but I just couldn't stand seeing him suffer anymore!

I've succeeded in resisting so long, but MTS has struck lol

Also, I've never had a betta before so I might need some help with this. Do they need anything special? Any info from the betta experts on here would be great!

2. fbn Well Known Member Member

It is best to feed them betta pellets and not tropical fish food. Good luck with him! You should post pictures :).

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You're not cycling this tank with him, are you? He's already ill, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I never let my emotions guide my fish purchases. If you purchase diseased fish at the lfs, it's only more profit for them and leads to the endless cycle of them offering sick fish for sale.

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

no, i already have cycled gravel, and filter. and you're right i shouldn't have, but it was tough not to

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Betta's like a tank temperature of 80-82 degrees, and don't really like a lot of current in the tank. Other than that they are pretty much like any other fish.

6. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I got a couple pictures of him.

Attached Files:

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Agreed! That being said the mistakes done. I recommend putting some tetra safe start in it right away.

8. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I personally don't have any issues with putting a betta in an uncycled tank, so long as either SafeStart is added, or the tank is cycled with daily water changes using an ammonia detoxing water conditioner. In my opinion, that is better than being left in that death cup at the fish store.

I was recently in the market for a few Betta's and stopped in at my local PetCo on a Tuesday night. They had just gotten a shipment of 70 Betta's in (they were still stacked up in their death cups on a cart). I went the following Saturday and bought two. Then a week later (last Saturday) I went in to buy another and noticed that their were alot of Betta's there that weren't there the previous week, so I surmise they got another shipment in. I don't know how many the got in, but I find it difficult to believe that they sold 70 Betta's in a week. I have a hunch that there is a high mortality rate while they are sitting in the display waiting to be resuced.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

What a handsome boy!!!! I do the same thing with bettas....good thing puppies arent as cheap to buy as bettas tho thats for sure! LOL

Keeping his water prestine, adding some stress coat , frozen brine shrimp, some frozen blood worms, and his betta pellets, will be a great start to making him look amazing!

Congrats!

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well I added gravel from an already cycled tank and I had that plastic filtery thing in the cycled tank so that i could just pop it into the 2.5 if i needed. And I always add prime to my water changes.

Shawnie-thanks! I don't have the stress coat or betta pellets but hopefully I can pick them up real soon.