(offtopic idk where to post this) A very long-winded life-advice post

Mii

First I'm just gonna note that I don't really know about depression and stuff, and I haven't had depression so I have no idea how depression plays into this. Also note that I'm autistic so what works for me may or may not work for neurotypical people.

Aaaaaaanyway...

For awhile, I had been feeling bored, underwhelmed, and unmotivated by life, and now I'm doing pretty well. What changed? Well the first thing that changed was my mindset.

It all started with me wanting to be better at Splatoon 2. Before I thought that it I just played a lot, that practice would make me good, but then I realized I wasn't improving, and if I wanted a different result, I needed to do something differently. I started actively changing my playstyle, asking for advice from better players, not wasting time raging or making excuses when I lost, and entirely focusing on self-improvement and also, just looking at things with a more positive spin.

After that, that mindset started seeping into the rest of my life, not just Splatoon. I focused on improving myself and looking on the bright side of things.

It's really important to actually try. If you give up and get lazy, which I did, you won't get anywhere. Even if you feel unmotivated, if nothing is actually blocking you from doing so, just force yourself to try.

One day me and my family kind of had a fight before I went to school, I ended up going pretty annoyed at them, and then I decided "No. I'm not going to bring this negativity with me", and I just... didn't. I then actually had a pretty good day at school.

Not doing anything is easy, and people will often take the path of least resistance, follow the easiest trail, but the problem is that the easiest trail is usually going down hill. I'm not saying make things hard for yourself just to make them harder, I'm saying don't give up, and choose the trail that leads to where you want to be.

I know a lot of people make fun of the advice "sad? just be happy", but just deciding to try to look on the bright side and be happy actually really helped me. Obviously it's not that simple, but oftentimes people will just stop trying and give up, this leads to a downward spiral of them being to busy wallowing in their own sadness to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, which just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Their life is falling apart and they just give up, which allows it to fall apart even faster. They get a mindset that things just suck and they just sorta put up with it and don't do anything.

HupGupp

First I'm just gonna note that I don't really know about depression and stuff, and I haven't had depression so I have no idea how depression plays into this. Also note that I'm autistic so what works for me may or may not work for neurotypical people.

Aaaaaaanyway...

For awhile, I had been feeling bored, underwhelmed, and unmotivated by life, and now I'm doing pretty well. What changed? Well the first thing that changed was my mindset.

It all started with me wanting to be better at Splatoon 2. Before I thought that it I just played a lot, that practice would make me good, but then I realized I wasn't improving, and if I wanted a different result, I needed to do something differently. I started actively changing my playstyle, asking for advice from better players, not wasting time raging or making excuses when I lost, and entirely focusing on self-improvement and also, just looking at things with a more positive spin.

After that, that mindset started seeping into the rest of my life, not just Splatoon. I focused on improving myself and looking on the bright side of things.

It's really important to actually try. If you give up and get lazy, which I did, you won't get anywhere. Even if you feel unmotivated, if nothing is actually blocking you from doing so, just force yourself to try.

One day me and my family kind of had a fight before I went to school, I ended up going pretty annoyed at them, and then I decided "No. I'm not going to bring this negativity with me", and I just... didn't. I then actually had a pretty good day at school.

Not doing anything is easy, and people will often take the path of least resistance, follow the easiest trail, but the problem is that the easiest trail is usually going down hill. I'm not saying make things hard for yourself just to make them harder, I'm saying don't give up, and choose the trail that leads to where you want to be.

I know a lot of people make fun of the advice "sad? just be happy", but just deciding to try to look on the bright side and be happy actually really helped me. Obviously it's not that simple, but oftentimes people will just stop trying and give up, this leads to a downward spiral of them being to busy wallowing in their own sadness to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, which just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Their life is falling apart and they just give up, which allows it to fall apart even faster. They get a mindset that things just suck and they just sorta put up with it and don't do anything.
Right on. Attitude is the one thing you can control and is pretty much the #1 success factor for pretty much everything. Sadly some people go a whole lifetime not being able to figure this out.

KingOscar

I found much the same at different points in my life. Forcing myself to do things even when I had zero energy or desire to do so always ended up helping. Exercising or working on home projects especially worked for me. For others meeting up with family or friends may work.

Mii

The thing is, from an external perspective my life hasn't changed really, I'm still doing the same stuff I'm just getting more out of it and doing it better because I'm putting in the effort.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Killcycle
Replies
Views
Amandalorian
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views