Office Tank Stocking

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so my office tank is about 6 weeks old. It has lil chain swords, 2 big swords, Val at one end, 2 rock caves. Hornwort floating on top.

It’s a 29 with a 20 gallon HOB and 2 double sponge filter.
What do you think about my stocking?

6 bronze corys with 2 albino corys.
11 glow light rasporas.
1 pearl gouramis
4-5 very young guppies
5 cherry barbs
1 6 month old male rad wag platy
1 bristle note pleco

Since it’s at work I want low maintenance. 50-60% water change every Thursday.
Think this stocking will work?

eco-complete under BDBS.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m thinking that’s two too many corys. But since I happen to need more albinos, go ahead and buy them then send to me. Lol.

Stocking. Seriously. All male guppies?

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies tend to be fin nippers, be careful pairing them with a gourami. Don't get the bristlenose with the cories, and don't get the albinos as they school with their own colour only with a minimum schooling of 6. Schooling with other colours is rare.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
InsanityShard said:
Guppies tend to be fin nippers, be careful pairing them with a gourami. Don't get the bristlenose with the cories, and don't get the albinos as they school with their own colour only with a minimum schooling of 6. Schooling with other colours is rare.
Hey! He’s sending me the albinos! lol. I wish. My guppies never nip. And no matter what, get the pearl. I love the pearl. Don’t you?

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the guppies will mate and you'll have a lot more fish. unless they are all males. then they will fight and nip each other.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
InsanityShard said:
Guppies tend to be fin nippers, be careful pairing them with a gourami. Don't get the bristlenose with the cories, and don't get the albinos as they school with their own colour only with a minimum schooling of 6. Schooling with other colours is rare.[/QU

I have had 5 guppies with 2 honey gouramis in a 36bf for 6 months now and have seen no nipping. Because the pearl has more finnage, i’ll keep an eye on it the guppies they get older.

I believe bronze and albinos school together? Only reason I got the bronze instead of peppers cause I wanted a couple of albinos to really stand out on the black substrate and background.

I have had a honey bristle nose pleco in a tank with 7 very active peppers for 5-6 months with no problems, what’s the issue with this combination? The pleco sin both tanks do their job but hide during the day.
BobNJerry said:
the guppies will mate and you'll have a lot more fish. unless they are all males. then they will fight and nip each other.
They aren’t sexually mature yet. I caught a couple initially (males) but picked up 2 more when I was moving the cherry barbs from a home tank to the office tank.i’ll sex em Monday and remove any females. Guppies are easy to catch, insert net, drop some flake in, lift net. Hardest part is only getting the one/ones you want out. Now the cherrys? I had to remove everything except the plants and it still took me 10 minutes to catch 4 of the 9.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 5 guppies with 2 honey gouramis in a 36 bf for 6 months with no nipping. Is it because the pearl has more finnage? Will keep an eye on it.

Bristle nose pleco and corys? In the same 36, I have a honey bristle nose with 7 very active pepper corys and have had no issues. They pleco does hide during the day but the tank is algae free and i’ve caught him out very early a few times.

I thought I read numerous times albinos school with bronze corys? That’s why I got the bronze instead of the peppers who are more active. In my experience, both bronze and peppers school way more loosely than either sterbia or pigmy corys but I wanted a couple of albinos for this tank due to the black substrate and background. In the the 1 day the new fish have been in the tank, i’ve observed;

Guppies at the top, glow light rasporas near the top but hanging mostly on the right side (maybe the guppies encroached on their space?).

The cherrys hang in the middle/bottom as does the pearl.

The corys on the bottom mostly although they regularly “climb the glass.”

Glow lights and pearl have great color, seems they are thriving.

As the guppies grow, I may move them back to one of my guppy tanks.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bristlenose need 25g minimum because that's their terrortory, I find mine can get aggressive but only my albino, maybe that's just my fishes personality. I didn't know that Albinos schooled with Bronze, I only knew they prefer their own colours. As for the guppies, I've only known them to attack fins, antennae, or anything that dangles. They even shred each others fins in my tank. If you have backups to move them to if they do get aggressive, go ahead then. I'm only giving advice from my own experience, it doesn't mean it's right or that every fish fits into it.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I currently have them in a tank with 2 honey gouramis and have had no issues in 6 months. But they seem to always be more interested in sex than aggression.

I will keep my eyes on them since I have 4 different tanks I could fit them into. Plus 2 different lfs’ told me last week they would give me store credit for them and I have at least 120 various stages of maturation including about 49 bigger than either store sells their guppies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom