Off Topic, But... Your Opinion On Fishing?

?

Your Take on Fishing?

1. I enjoy it

2. No, it’s cruel

3. No opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Hello fishlorians, I know this question is a bit off topic, but your opinions on fishing? (Salmon, trout, catfish etc.) I enjoy it, although I get sad when the time comes to kill it. :(

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

I love fishing.. don't get to go near as much as I would like to!!!

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I don't have a problem with people doing it. In fact, I'd like to learn how to fish myself.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I love it. I do about 90% catch and release though. I particularly enjoy Largemouth Bass fishing. I keep kicking myself because I have lived about a quarter mile from Lake Champlain for the last 12 years and have yet to get a line wet.

5. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

I would love to do fishing so long as the fish are released back into the ocean/ river/ lake after. Even better if I could use a humane fish trap and then release them!

Something about catching wild fish and seeing what species you can collect is so exciting but I don't want to hurt the little guys :(

6. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

People who have ethical issues with fishing generally also have ethical issues with keeping animals in captivity, I would think.

7. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I love it, particularly saltwater!

8. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

I can't bring myself to anymore, though I used to love it before I had pet fish. Catch and release has extremely high mortality rates, and I can't bring myself to do that to a fish just for 'fun'. It would either be keep and eat, or nothing at all, and I know I wouldn't be able to clean and kill one anymore.

9. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Being southern.....yeah you bet I go fishin. I go hunting too.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I really only feel sorry for fish that are in my possession, but I still understand what it’s like. I haven’t ever fished, but I really would like to, and only go to an area that I know has fish that are edible, as I will eat fish.

11. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I actually have no problem with fishing... if they're eaten in a well stocked area. I don't agree with catch and release. I've heard so many stories of the fish getting away with the hook which means that the hook is either on their lip or inside their mouth or gut which will ultimately end their lives. Sometimes the shock of being caught is enough to kill the fish as well. I also don't agree with mounting the fish on the wall.

12. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Totally not judging here. I just don't understand. You are perfectly fine with the aquarium hobby, but you're not okay with fishing for sport? I mean, think about it, really. What is more cruel? To kill a fish and mount it's dead carcass on the wall, or to remove a fish from it's natural habitat and force it to live in a glass box in someone's living room? At least the wall mounted fish is out of it's misery.

13. Dch48

If the fish has swallowed the hook, then it should not be released but be a candidate for the table. Hooks in the lip however will eventually come out just like a splinter will eventually come out of your finger. Catch and release does not have nearly the high mortality rate that some think. It does depend on the type of fish though. The kinds that keep fighting until they go belly up might not survive. And fish brought up from the bottom of deep water probably won't either, but most fish if lightly hooked, handled with wet hands or gloves to avoid disturbing their slime coat too much (touching their sides at all should be avoided if possible), and returned promptly to the water by holding them lightly until they swim off will survive. Rough handling or simply tossing them back in is not good.

14. wodesorel

There are studies that show that long-term survival is not very high once they have been hooked, even if it is just to the mouth. Just because the fish swims off does not mean it is okay! The act of catching them causes a lot of stress and physical damage, as well as a huge depletion of energy.

15. BloonStuff

BloonStuff Valued Member Member

I used to fish with my dad as a kid and really enjoyed it but I can't really bring myself to hurt or distress an animal for enjoyment / sport anymore.

It might be ignorant but I don't feel like the aquarium hobby and fishing are a straight apple to apples comparison. I mean, yes, if we're talking about wild caught fish then I can see the link but if we're talking about captive bred then I don't think there's as much of a link.

I actually feel less uncomfortable with catch for consumption fishing, provided it's a swift death. Someone fishing themselves to eat is probably more ethical than the fishing done on mass that is depleting our oceans etc.

16. Dch48

Stress and energy depletion sure, but physical damage? That's usually not the case.

17. wodesorel

It's been shown that keeping the fish out of water only long enough to remove a hook or take a photo is enough to cause physical problems and reduce the chance of survival.

18. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Not true. I used to catch and tag fish, specifically Striped Bass.

19. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I agree with this.

Because there is usually little pressure in water the fish's organs can rupture from the sudden pressure above water.

Bottom dwelling fish like catfish or flathead may be less prone to this, due to the increased pressure at the bottom of the water.

20. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Wait. There is waaaayyy more pressure underwater than there is above water! Water is more dense than air, causing it to have more pressure when you are submerged. If water had less pressure than air; it would float.