# of fish to how many gallons of water?

aj_1992

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this fish hobby, and i would like some idea as to how big of a tank i should get if i wanted 7 zebra danios and 5 corydoras in the tank. possibly might even add some serpae tetras later if i can raise up enough allowance (i've been saving up for quite some time now). i read on some site for every inch of fish i should have a gallon of water, but read on some other sites 2-3 gallons of water for every inch of fish. i saw a pretty good deal for a ten gallon tank with almost everything needed to start it. but didn't know if it would be enough for the number of fish that i would like to have.

whetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore! You've found one of the best resources for anything aquaria related my friend!

now, as for your question, the general rule of thumb used by professional keepers(which i am not, but im learning...) is that for every inch of MATURE fish, you should have one gallon of water. For example, a dojo loach grows to around 8 inches, so therefore it should be the only thing in a 10 gallon tank(roughly). Go to your pet store, and check how big the fish can get, and add the numbers. I could be wrong, but your plans sound too big for a ten gallon tank. others who know more will be able to elaborate more for you later in this post im sure.

Hope i helped!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whetto is exactly right.when deciding how many fish you can have you have to look at their ADULT size and their habits. The one inch per gallon of water is good as far as it goes. You have to also consider their mass. I guess what I'm trying to say is it would be ok to put 10 one inch neons but not ok to put 1 eight inch oscar.
Danios get 2-3 inches and corys get about 3 inches. Danios are spastic swimmers and if not given enough buddies and room to swim they will flip out of the tank, a ten gallon really isn't big enough. So for a ten gallon something like Neons or another calm small schooling fish would be nice in that size tank.
I'm really glad to see you want more than one Cory because they do better in groups also, and would also be good in a ten gallon. Otocinclus are small and would also be good in a tank that size.
I hope I haven't been confusing
Carol

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could always try some male guppies in a 10gal!
We have danios (my picks) and guppies (bf's picks) and I'm finding that I'm really loving the guppies' personalities alot more than my danios... well.. all cept for my sweet sweet little finrt danio gal... she was in the hospital tank with the guppies for a while, so she trys to play/hang out with them every once in a while

Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

whetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
since were going along with this topic, i was thinking about something today. My twenty gallon is soon going to be home to a dojo loach (at about 4" right now), and hopefully soon a rubber lip pleco (which ive read ony get to about 5 inches). i also have a 2" rainbow shark. by my calculations, that around 16-17 inches for a twenty gallon tank right? would it be ok to get 3 or 4 marble hatchet fish since they stay at the top of the tank, the pleco and dojo tend to stay at the bottom, and the rainbow is free swimming?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whetto it's good to know your planning your tank before you set it up (thats part of the fun). Like other Loaches Dojo Loaches enjoy the conmpany of others of their own kind (keep that in mind for the future ) Dojos get 8-9 inches also need cooler temps than your other fish.
The Rainbow shark will get about 6inches, and a larger tank is recommended for them.
The rubber lip plec gets to about 7 inches

All of these have recommendations for larger a than 20 gallon tank.
Hatchet fish however are recommended for a 20 gallon tank.

Carol

whetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah, i learned that about the dojo loaches after i bought him. He was the last one in the tank at my lfs and i couldnt resist. He seems very very happy though, always swimming around when i come to the tank and eating very heartily. i cant move him anywhere yet, which is why i figured the hatchet fish would be fine since its two areas of the tank (at least until i can move him)

sinead

Reaction score
I im kinda new just wondering if i have too many fish in my tank, its approx. 6 gallons and i have the following fish in it:

2 guppies
1 giant danio
2 glow lights
2 blue neons
2 platys
1 penguin
1 black mollie

In total i have 11, they all seem to be fine in the tank, i have it well planted with plenty of cover for them, only prob ive encountered so far is that the female black mollie tends to go for the female guppy , is that normal? should i get a male black mollie for the female?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

lilsoccakid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
this is WAY overstocked. 2 guppys alone are 4 our of 6 total inches. you need to upgrade to AT LEAST a 20-30 gal tank very soon

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Those fish also are schooling fish and like to have at least 3-6 or more of their own kind.

sinead said:
I im kinda new just wondering if i have too many fish in my tank, its approx. 6 gallons and i have the following fish in it:

2 guppies
1 giant danio
2 glow lights
2 blue neons
2 platys
1 penguin
1 black mollie

In total i have 11, they all seem to be fine in the tank, i have it well planted with plenty of cover for them, only prob ive encountered so far is that the female black mollie tends to go for the female guppy , is that normal? should i get a male black mollie for the female?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom