Odyssea Dual Fixture Light Strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some one is bound to have one of these things, and has something to say about them

I'm looking at one on eBay. Heres the link:

Is this a good price and product? I really like it, and it saves me about 20 bucks in the end

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive got the 3 bulb one with the timer and LEDs on it and it's great. Have had it for over a year now. The bulbs are meh, they aren't terrible or anything, but there are definitely better. I replaced mine at about 11-12 months anyhow.

It's not a high end fixture by any means but it does a good job and is hard to beat at that price.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 55 with some high-light plants (Ocelot Sword is the one I'm most concerned about, but I also have Amazon and Argentine Swords, a Banana Plant, and some other plants that don't care what they get, like Apon's and Dwarf Lilies), would the bulbs it comes with be ok?

Also, can T8's or T12's fit into this fixture, in the event I can't find any good replacement T5's?

*edit*

Whats the difference between that one, and this one, which comes with different bulbs?

Would the first one or the second one be better for a planted tank?

And how do you feel about this one? Its a different brand and bit more expensive...

Not sure how I feel about the pink light. Apparently plants really like it though. But I don't like the look it gives the tank. I can always change it, though. Its just a light

Last edited:

ZombieKeepr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the one in the first link you posted and I LOVE that thing SOO much. It grows pretty much any plant I grow in there that doesn't require Co2. The best thing about the second one is it has the legs that kinda clamp onto the tank[my 40gB has that one] so the light can't fall in although you can't have any lids, but the other one just sits on the tank's rim which is fine too and you can have glass lids.

Hope this helps!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first link has an actinic bulb which is meant for SW, and I wouldn't bother with the pink bulb. Yes, plants use the pinkish part of the spectrum, but it's not mandatory and it looks blah. There is enough of both the red and blue spectrum in a full spectrum daylight range bulb (i.e. the 6500k-ish ones).

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If i get either of these, I'll just use glass or acrylic over the top of the tank.

Do you know of any differences between the types of bulbs they all come with? Each one comes with different bulbs, and that's my area of expertise lol

*edit*

Jeta ninja'd me! How about the difference between the T sizes? Are they sort of interchangeable?

ZombieKeepr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The T5s are smaller in diameter then the T8s and MUCH more powerful. Being roughly double the wattage of a T8[good reflectors come into play here]. lol They're not interchangeable.

As I said before, my 40gB has actinic lighting and as long as it has a white bulb[6500k-10k], it seems to be GREAT with plants and gives a different color to the tank too. I imagine the pinks are the same way, just still beneficial to the plants.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, you only want to use t5's in a t5 fixture. The 48" t5ho bulbs are pretty cheap if you know where to look, I got some off of amazon for my fixture not long ago for less than $10 each.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Lowes, Home Depot and WalMart to chose from. I've already looked at Lowes online, and they did have a decent selection (8 or so) of T5s. I'm on my phone now, so I can't link it to you guys (my phone hates me).

When looking at "human" type bulbs, what should I look for? For my T9's I can just use a GE Plant and Aquarium bulb, but I haven't seen a T5 in that. I get it at Lowes.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is where I got mine.

Not the ones listed but over on the right by the cart, elightbulbs.

I've not found any decent t5ho bulbs in town apart from the LFS and they are expensive. I think most of the bulbs they sell at the big box stores are t5NO. Not that you'll need to get new bulbs anytime soon if you are getting a new fixture with bulbs included.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool thanks!

I know! It's good to be prepared though :3 How long are the bulbs usually good for? Should i be able to find HO bulbs around, what specs should I look for (lumen, k, watts, etc)?

Of the three fixtures I've linked, whicht do you think would be best?

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the odyssea 48" dual T5HO and have had no issues with it, it shipped to me with 6500k bulbs. As jeta jockey said, shoot for 6500k temp range, the wattages should all be the same for most any T5HO bulb of the same size, 54w if a 48" tube.

I've heard recommendations of changing them anywhere from 6-12 months, I plan on 12 months. Most every online aquarium retailer carries them, not sure about home depot, I've only gotten normal output from them.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The reason I ask about time is that I use the GE plant and Aquarium bulbs from Lowes, and I've had mine well over two years and just replaced it. Could have been replaced a few months ago, but it's worked well up until then, and even when I replaced it, my plants were toughing it out. On the other hand, I have a Mali Uromastyx (reptile), and they require a high UV output, and his bulb needs to be replaced every 8 months. I have to order these online or buy them at ReptiCon. I can't get the 36 inch bulb locally...

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People replace bulbs usually every 6-12 months because with everyday use the bulb eventually loses some of its efficiency and the color spectrum changes a bit in some. I've read some articles that reference around 10-20% after a year but either way it's pretty noticeable when put up against a new bulb no doubt. I'm like Matt I just replace mine annually unless one burns out prematurely.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Somewhat ot but I used to keep alot of large lizards (monitors, tegus) and I had an outside wire cage I would let them hang out in for a couple hours a day in good weather to get the "real deal" I used mainly heat lamps indoors with a weak plant gro spot bulb in each cage.

Never kept a uromastyx though. Done babbling.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I worry abut the humidity here for him outside. I do take him outside when it's lower though. He doesnt like to be handled, either. He's still small enough that i can grab him and hold him firmly when needed. He's learning to use it tail, though, and when he gets much bigger, I don't know how well I'll be able to handle him with him swinging that tail!

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good point about the humidity! I did have tegus from humid areas of S America that seemed fine with the dry heat I had but I don't know the other way around.

I'm not sure if they can be, having never owned one, but the lizards I kept were able to be somewhat "tame" through regular handling(I got all of them as juveniles). As in, they wouldn't try to bite, whip or claw the heck out of me.

If Uromastyx can't be "tamed" like that then I guess it'd just be too stressful for him.

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the first fixture listed. I grow low moderate and highlight plants decently with co2 and ferts. I got mine for $80. Well worth it in my book.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uro's are a lot like beardies. They don't mind hanging onto the front of your shirt provided they are handled properly at a young age. Rex was my first reptile ever, bought by my parents because they asked what I wanted for Christmas, and as a joke I sent them a picture of a random lizard that I saw the day before. So, he was a learn as you go pet LOL I'm doing much better with my Leo.

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the odyssea 48" dual T5HO and have had no issues with it, it shipped to me with 6500k bulbs. As jeta jockey said, shoot for 6500k temp range, the wattages should all be the same for most any T5HO bulb of the same size, 54w if a 48" tube.

I've heard recommendations of changing them anywhere from 6-12 months, I plan on 12 months. Most every online aquarium retailer carries them, not sure about home depot, I've only gotten normal output from them.

Where do you order your replacement bulbs?

I also owe you an additional thanks for reccomending this fixture some time ago. My plants have took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom