Odessa barbs behavior

michaelsf90

Today I have purchased 7 odessa barbs. It's a 125L Fluval Roma. I also have 10 danios and 4 peppered Cory's. The barbs seem to have settled well but one of them keeps chasing one of my peppered Corey's

Doing my research it seemed odessa barbs are placid and peaceful compared to other barbs. Could this be a dominance thing? I just don't want my peppered Corey's to get stressed

A201

Its probably just a curiosity thing. Odessa Barbs are no threat to Cory Cats.
The chasing action for Odessa Barbs starts routinely in the mornings, where the males will relentlessly pursue females. It looks brutal, but is usually harmless.

michaelsf90

Is it easy to tell the difference between Male and female Odessas. Their are definitely two bland ones which I know are female and 5 with more red. Some are really red! All the fish are happy most of the time but every now and then a group of odessas will chase a corey into a corner

Another question. I have a long fin peppered Corey and its fin looks like its split at the top into two. Is this normal or could it be the odessas?

A201

Male Odessa Barbs are red, while the females are bland, sort of a silver color.
The red color of the dominant males will be more intense than subordinate ones.
Long fin varieties of fish stand a greater risk of damage from nippy fish or from decor. Provide the Cory Cat with driftwood or a rock pile to hide under. That should help solve the problem.

michaelsf90

There are several plants and an ornamental log and house for fish to hide. I was told odessa barbs are very tame. The danios have never attempted to nip the Corey cats. I haven't seen the barbs nip it just seems a group will chase a corey for a few seconds then leave it. No nipping. But my Corey's are never usually bothered by the danios but are by these barbs

Its hard to get a decent picture but if you look close you can see the split in the black on the top of the fin. It hasn't always been split. Just noticed it today

A201

I've kept Odessa Barbs with Cory Cats as well as with big Tetras with no fin nipping issues.
Odessas will vigorously chase each other, especially in the AM hours.
Once they settle in & fully color up, they will likely become your favorites.
Odessas like cooler water, 70 - 75 degrees. That should work well with your current stock.

michaelsf90

Off the colours its looking like we have 2 females for definite. Maybe 3. So that's at least 4 males. Do you think wel need another 2 females so the barbs only chase one another.

The danios literally just chase each other. They only bother other fish at feeding time when it's a free for all. Those fish are ravenous

The Corey's are literally the most chilled and my favourite. Relaxed, non-aggressive. Dont bother anyone or anything just doing their own thing.

So do you think the odessas chasing them is a settling in thing seeing as they were only added yesterday?

A201

A couple more female Odessas & maybe a few more Cories would be a plus & max out your tanks population capacity. Be sure to post pics.

michaelsf90

Another 2 peppered corys? The Cory's don't even stick together. They literally just do their own thing. Looking closely one of the corries has a small chunk from its top fin. I don't know when this was done but the danios never chased them. If the odessas carry on keep chasing what do you think I should do?

My current stocking is 10 danios, 7 odessas, 4 Cory's and 2 zebra nerites. It's a 125L fluval Roma. It already looks quite busy in there

michaelsf90

Just an update. For the last half an hour some of the Odessa have relentlessly had a go at one of the smaller Cory's. I'm setting my small 25L tank back up for now to return the odessas Tuesday. I'm gutted but I'm loyal to the fish I had and don't want to see any suffering. I phoned the shop which is shut today but someone answered and they said they'll swap

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom