Odessa Barb - rate of growth?

Mike999

Does anyone here have first hand experience, or can point me in the right direction of an article etc. that discusses the rate of growth?

Here's my setup:
38g (3'L x 1.5'H x 1'D)
10 x Odessa barbs (Some purchased Dec.2019, others Feb.2020). So about a year, +/- a month/two.
1 x 3" BN Pleco
1 x 3" Kribensis
(All fish healthy looking, full rounded bellies, good coloration)

1 x daily feeding (NLS pellets, or Omega One Supercolor flakes, or NutraFin bug bites)
1 x 50% Water change/week (including cleaning hob filter sponges, during water change)
Plenty of live plants/driftwood/rock/sandy bottom.

While some barbs were purchased larger than others and are now about 1.5" (more colorful males I presume), about 1/2 dozen are about 1". While it's difficult to remember exactly, it really seems like abnormally slow growth rates. Thoughts?
I'm a patient guy, yet I wanted to get a feel for whether you think their growth rates are being stunted, or this is normal?

Mike999

Bump.

Is there anyone here knowledgeable on the growth rate of these fish? I've had them 15+ months now and they barely seem to be growing, beyond the size that I bought them.

I still have those original 10 as above stocking.
Feeding and water change routine noted in original post.

thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0

chromedome52

There's just not a lot of data on growth rates for any aquarium fish. "They grew fairly fast" or "they seemed to be growing so slowly" is about as much commentary as you generally get anywhere. Since both are a matter of perception, they are not that useful.

My best suggestion for getting some growth on Odessa Barbs would be live or frozen foods, and possibly raise the temperature a couple of degrees. The only Odessas that I've had were fully grown at 2.5 inches when I got them, so I saw little growth, even in a 125 gallon tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
Replies
Views
mbkemp
Replies
Views
mattgirl